Treating a yearling Blue Tongue for Mycotic Dermatosis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhysc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was pulling down my old blue tongue pit, after I sold my adult pair. They have never bred to my knowledge, but as I was removing some of the logs, I found what appears to be a small yearling bluey.

Upon inspection, he appears to have Mycotic Dermatosis, as his skin is lumpy, and fairly messed up on his back. I have put it down to Mycotic Dermatosis as I found him in a rather damp area of the pit.

I have been researching this disease, and can not find anyway to treat it, or to slow its progress. I am at the point where I am starting to think the only option is euthanasia. I dont want this poor little bugger to suffer.

Also I have a 2 yr old bluey, Plod. Is he at risk of contracting it from the yearling? They yearling is in a holding tub, and has not come in contact with Plod, I have been sure to ensure my hand are clean, before handling either skink, But if there is a possibility of the disease/parasite/condition, being passed on, I want to know about it.

I hope someone can help me help this poor little bugger.

Anyone?

I would really appreciate any ideas.

With out a car at the moment, bit tricky to get to a vet.

I dont have a car and my animals always still get there
Get a friend to take you
If you have no alternative try ringing a vet for advice

He will end up at a vet, but I would like to know anything in regards to caring for him in the mean time.

I guess the only thing you can do is keep him dry and in a quiet place, where he has shelter so he feels secure, until he can get to the vet. How did you manage to miss him for a year? (I'm not having a go at you, I'm genuinely curious.)

Well I sold the adults near on 10 months ago. Haven't really had to go near the pit, till I had to pull it down, and apart from the squilions of garden skinks, he was there.

I think he had trapped himself under the log, as it was partially buried.

He's not a big fella, only about 120mm, and not as fat as he should be, though he is eating like a pig. I am most likely just going to surrender him though.

Thought I would give an update, on this little fella. After going to a vet and being told there was nothing to help him. Then being told it was too late by a couple supposed experts. I figured I would dilute the stockholm tar with betadine, I applied it then left him for a day then cleaned him, and repeated this every 3 days, for 2 weeks.

This induced a shed, and it turns out that this was no more than several retained skins. So 3 weeks later, and alot of patients and time, applying the tar, cleaning, and slowly removing what would appear to be bluetongue leather, I have a near normal yearling bluey. He has a couple spots on his back where his skin is slightly irregular, but this should come away during his next shed.

blueys are tough buggers, they love to live. good work

Good work mate! It's always a stoke-up to have a reptile back to health :)

Thanks guys, now I just have to get him eating right. He doesn't like vegies, none of them, he'll only take worms, pinkies, and strawberries, fussy little bugger.

thats great news,..!!

whats stockholm tar?
and how did u come up with that idea?

P1010023-1.jpg

Hey guys, this is the little bugger, as you can see for a yearling, he is quite small, but he has come a long way since I found him. I quite like how his colours are coming up.

As you can see he still has a bit to go, and I am stuggling with his legs, but I think nex shed he should be right.

I'd be giving him/her lots of warm baths and lots of rubbing.

Yes, absolutely keep an eye on the legs, his front leg and last 1/3 of his tail particularly look like they need some extra TLC. I was desperate with one I had and ended up using the tweezers as it was stubborn around its leg and at risk of loosing it if left too long. Although I'm sure you know what you are doing.

Great to see him ok though, great work. :)

I'd be giving him/her lots of warm baths and lots of rubbing.

Hah! nice xD

It's such a fantastic thing that you just found this reptile you never even knew you had. He's looking really good, his tail looks a bit unhealthy though. Maybe you should focus on that a bit as his torso looks pretty cleared up.

Good work.

It was quite a shock to find him, glad I did though. Unfortunately he now hates me, and hides as soon as he see's me coming.

I have been using tweesers throughout the whole excercise, the skin was that tough, almost solid, I have never seen anything like it. Tomorrow evening he is going back in his med tub, with very sticky legs and tail, hopefully the betadine/tar mix will soften the skin up enough for me to remove it.

It was quite a shock to find him, glad I did though. Unfortunately he now hates me, and hides as soon as he see's me coming.

I have been using tweesers throughout the whole excercise, the skin was that tough, almost solid, I have never seen anything like it. Tomorrow evening he is going back in his med tub, with very sticky legs and tail, hopefully the betadine/tar mix will soften the skin up enough for me to remove it.

A soak in warm water might make it easier too.

thats a great story. and to think that the "experts" said there was nothing you could do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back