Exporting reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MA15plus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question and I'm sure there is a good reason but I was just curious as to why Australia doesn't export reptiles? I understand and agree with why we don't import but what is the risk with exporting?

Part of Australia's constitution says that all native animals in Australia are the property of all members of the country, to protect for the inter-generational equity of all Australians. This leads to part of Australias constitutional law putting extremely tough restrictions on making profit from Australian native animals outside of Australia.

It's not so much as risk as a patriotic, they are ours they will stay ours sorta thing that exists within the constitution.

Australian citizens can export native animals......All applications are assessed and approved or denied on a case by case basis.

Australian citizens can export native animals......All applications are assessed and approved or denied on a case by case basis.

This is VERY rare, and can only be done with a few species, and usually only 1 bird involved - it has to have been a pet for a proveable length of time. Australian citizens can generally NEVER export native species, regardless of the "assessment" on a case by case basis.

Jamie

This is VERY rare, and can only be done with a few species, and usually only 1 bird involved - it has to have been a pet for a proveable length of time. Australian citizens can generally NEVER export native species, regardless of the "assessment" on a case by case basis.

Jamie

Zoo's do it :)

Indeed they do - but they are not Australian private citizens. Zoos and scientific institutions can do it under the protocols which apply now, private citizens cannot, unless they are leaving the country permanently and want to take their (1) pet with them. The species are highly restricted and limited to things like Corellas, Galahs, and the common parrot & cockatoo pet species. You would not be able to take your pet python with you.

Jamie

So what does everyone think? Do you think it would be a bad idea to allow the export of native animals?

i dont think we should be able to export!
we need to make other countrys jealous of what we have like we are of them!

I know its not a reptile, but when I did my research before buying a sugar glider I actually found they are more commonly kept in America so somebody must of exported them. (if considering buying one don't listen to the yanks most of their info was rubbish)

i dont think we should be able to export!
we need to make other countrys jealous of what we have like we are of them!

How do you suppose we do that? A majority of our animals are already in overseas collections, and vice versa..

The sugar gliders available overseas are of Indonesian origin in most cases.

Jamie

We stop Exporting in the 40's. I was in California and there are plenty of Beardies and Monitors.
It's the same with Birds. Used to be some good Doco's on a few years back and it showed them busting poachers and smugglers. A certain shop on a franchise I wont mention even made a hint to help him out.
Fantana had the best passionate reptile store by far. Females always do it better. :evil:

Oh yeh I did get some footage and got a Beardie from a rescue there for $25. He is growing better than I thought he would.
No I didn't smuggle him back. He stayed with the family there.IMG_0611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited a Japanese Pet Shop a few years ago and they had Pilbara Rock Monitors and Kimberley Rock Monitors for sale. They are Australian Natives but you are no hope of getting them in Australia. Go figure. (they also had Emeral Tree Monitors but like the gliders would have been Indonesian). You will also see that people that get caught smuggling animals OUT of our country get much bigger penalties than people that get caught smuggling in. And yet what has the more potential to do damage to our country??? It's just the way it is. If youwant to change it run for parliament and do a deal with someone that aint the Greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back