substrate querie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth-Girl

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals,
Just wondering what everyone/anyone thinks about coconut matting for substrate. I saw it in a roll in a nursery and wondered if it would be any good..
;)..Thanks Cloe..;)

Ok I am not farmiliar with the product, but here is what I understand about substrate.

1 Absorbent - Must be able to soak up your pets little messes
2 Odor - Preferrably something that eliminates odors
3 Scoopable - When you have a small mess you want to be able to easily remove the small affected area.
4 Compatiable - Depending on what you are keeping. Things like compactation for dragons

Will leave it for others to provide further details.

A quick easy, cheap and whole lot more natural product than Newspaper - Lawn clippings :shock:. You need to dry first and either put in oven for 1 hour at 50+c or alternatively put in a plastic sealed container and leave in the sun for a few hours - needs to be above 50 degrees c to kill any nasties (mite etc). My carpets love it when they get new grass to smell and checkout. I know a lot of keepers use paper in little melamine boxes because it is cheap and easy to clean but for f&^k sake they are still living beings that need stimulation. Give them something natural and the little critters will appreciate it. Oh and the coconut stuff can be Ok but use with caution as it is stringy they can get caught up in it.
Kam

Kam

I use turf as its whst i was told to use from my breeder... But i love the lawn clippings idea... Will try it out when i have lawn thats regularly cut
Lol

I've been collecting fallen leaves from the garden. The leaves are a small variety - a lilli pilli and some other type. I line a large baking tray and bake them at 150°C for 10 minutes to kill any mites, etc. It looks incredibly natural in the bottom of a tropical/rainforest-type setup.

Thanks Heaps..Love the grass clippings and the leaves..Will definatly give them a go...;)

Hi Cloe, i use coconut peat. It comes in a brick form and is 100% organic and cheap as chips! (bunnings) you can get it from the pet store however they will charge you 3 times as much because they sell theirs with a sticker of a reptile on the front lol.

ps. i went and got some of that pretty purple nail polish after seeing your nails! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back