Anzac Day

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pa died when I was 16 months old, it's a shame, it would have been nice to have some memories of him. His name was Clarence Wragg, he was a POW for 4 years.

Lest we forget.

Attachments

• Pa.jpg
    Pa.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Pa2.jpg
    Pa2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 90
Lest we forget.
We owe so much to these brave young men

I had to go to the Dawn service. I hadn't done anything on Anzac day for years, then middle of last year after I went through some personal trauma it occurred to me that I needed to pay my respects to those who fought and died for Australia, and felt disgusted with myself that I hadn't attended for all those years. I used to attend when I was in primary school.

I vow to attend the dawn service for as long as I live. There really isn't much in the way of excuses, barring serious illness or hospitalisation, for anyone not to attend. For starters it's a public holiday. If getting up early is a problem then maybe one should look at themselves and realise that these people missed out on a whole lot more sleep...and those that were killed in action missed out on the rest of their lives :(....and many that survived the war had trouble sleeping for pretty much the rest of their lives due to post-traumatic stress disorder so...not being able to sleep in...big deal...what's the problem...some people have to get over themselves.

If I ever had children I would make sure they attend as well. I feel it is hugely disrespectful not to attend. After all, where would we be if nobody fought for us on our behalf? We'd be something in the pages of history. We're still here because of those who made the sacrifice.

Paul,

Youll be happy too know at the ADFA dawn service they did make mention of NZ involvement, with some unfortunate souls mentioned on the Honour Roll as well, the NZ anthem was also sung followed by Advance Australia fair

happens at quite a few now-days which is good to see after all it is ANZAC DAY, with out our New Zealand mates along side us the name would not be what it is.

...lest we forget

Thanks mate. My grandfather fought and died on the Kokoda Track. He was reportedly dying of gangrene, so was left on the track as a rearguard sniper to cover the trail from attack from behind.
Did your great uncle fight on the Kokoda Track?

on Anzac day i especially think of the world war 2 diggers like Bushmans grandfather.Theres is the greatest story of victory ,and i cant imagine what Australia would be like with out there sacrifices.
Where did your Grandfather serve Bushman?
My great uncle whos still alive is our families hero who fought in the middle east then came back to Papua New Guinea to fight.

Last edited:
i had 2 great uncles(brothers) fight in the early 1910/20s one dies when they got redeployed on there way home to new guinea, unfortunately the eldest died before my time

Hey Slim6y we had Kiwi's marching in our parade this morning as well as about 130 US marines and US sailors.

Lest we forget......

Both my Grandfathers fought in the 2nd world war, One of them was in the air force and managed to survive being shot down twice :) he didnt talk about his experiences to his Sons, they heard about it from my Grandmother. My other Grandfather was a cook in the army based here in Australia though, he was from Belgium and not very fluent in English. He was determined to do his bit for his new Country he is now deceased but was so proud to call Australia home :)
I am very grateful and proud of our Diggers past and present

Thanks mate. My grandfather fought and died on the Kokoda Track. He was reportedly dying of gangrene, so was left on the track as a rearguard sniper to cover the trail from attack from behind.
Did your great uncle fight on the Kokoda Track?

So sad Bushman.
I walked the track last year. It was an indescribable experience and gives so much more meaning and understanding to what the soldiers sacrificed for our country. The track was hard and I had it easy compared to what it was like 70 years ago.
I wet my face in a river once red with the blood of our soldiers, read the names of each of those that fell there... Someones son, someones brother, someones husband, someones father.
Lest we forget.

We will remember them. My grandfather volunteered for WW2 when he was 17 and served for the entire war. He fought for the freedom and liberties we all take for granted. Lest we forget and lest our government forget after producing a $370 000.00 report suggesting that our ANZAC day celebrations may be divisive and offensive for new Australians and should possibly be toned down. I say too bad. Its the freedoms and liberties that our countrymen fought and died for that makes our country so great and attractive to these new Australians. Basically, if you don't want to support the team then get the **** out of the stadium! A bit of a rant and not intended to be offensive in itself, its just a subject I feel passionately about and feel betrayed, yet again, by our own government.

Today was my last day in uniform at a Anzac day dawn service :) its great to see nearly 100 years later that we still morn the death and celebrate the life of our brothers that died that morning in Gallipoli.

Cheers Brenton

Today was my last day in uniform at a Anzac day dawn service :) its great to see nearly 100 years later that we still morn the death and celebrate the life of our brothers that died that morning in Gallipoli.

Cheers Brenton

And didn't you look lovely!

So sad Bushman.
I walked the track last year. It was an indescribable experience and gives so much more meaning and understanding to what the soldiers sacrificed for our country. The track was hard and I had it easy compared to what it was like 70 years ago.
I wet my face in a river once red with the blood of our soldiers, read the names of each of those that fell there... Someones son, someones brother, someones husband, someones father.
Lest we forget.
Thanks Sunny Girl and everyone else for sharing your stories and sentiments.
We should also pay our respects to all the allied forces and all those that supported them, like the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels and Pacific Islanders.
Let us remember and honour all those that fought and died in warfare. They were terrible times.
Lest we forget.

I was quite surprised and a little offended today when my partner said he didn't think I would be one to celebrate ANZAC day, after I told him that if he hadn't gotten out of bed when he did I was going to leave him behind and go to the dawn service on my own. I don't really go in for celebrating christmas and easter etc, but ANZAC Day And Remembrance Day are very special to me. I'm not related to anyone who's served, my grandparents were immigrants here by the time WWII rolled around, but I am extremely proud to be Australian, and I owe my life as it is to those who gave theirs.

There is one aspect of (the origins of) ANZAC Day that makes me mad though. I think Wilfred Owen sums it up the best:

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest,
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The Old Lie: Dulce et Decorum Est
Pro patria mori"

I was so proud of my little man not yet 3 and we got him up at 4.30 for the dawn service and he did so well I sat up all night before hand stitching medals from my grandfather onto his jacket. He stayed awake the whole time and even had a picture taken for the local paper waving an Australian flag. Our family fought for this country and I think it's important we keep Anzac day alive in our children and hopefully they will pass it on to there children.
We live free today because of the brave family members we are all so proud of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back