Tampering with Nature/natural selection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elapidae1

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've often pondered that when a species declines due to human interference that it is just nature taking its course.
Many people will argue that this is a BS excuse to do nothing, Humans caused it so we should fix it. Many will say that as humans with higher thought processes and the ability to reason and choose our actions, that we have a moral obligation to act and therefore at least attempt to protect the environment and creatures with in it.
Lets remember that as humans we are part of the animal kingdom and while we have the ability to reason we are still subject to instinctual behaviours. Some of us a more environmentally conscious than others but I'm sure most would agree that we all have a negative impact on our environment and its creatures just by living our daily lives.

This leaves me wondering.
Why do we as humans feel the need to save species?
What does it matter in the big picture?
If an species becomes extinct isn't this just natural selection in action?
After all species have risen and fallen before humans entered the picture animals adapt or they die.
Should we mourn this loss?

Should we have cloned Lonesome George or should we just accept that natural selection has taken place and accept that it is not our place to interfere?

I've often pondered that when a species declines due to human interference that it is just nature taking its course.
Many people will argue that this is a BS excuse to do nothing, Humans caused it so we should fix it. Many will say that as humans with higher thought processes and the ability to reason and choose our actions, that we have a moral obligation to act and therefore at least attempt to protect the environment and creatures with in it.
Lets remember that as humans we are part of the animal kingdom and while we have the ability to reason we are still subject to instinctual behaviours. Some of us a more environmentally conscious than others but I'm sure most would agree that we all have a negative impact on our environment and its creatures just by living our daily lives.

Why do we as humans feel the need to save species? Conscience
What does it matter in the big picture? The big picture being that the Earths lifespan is not infinite?
If an species becomes extinct isn't this just natural selection in action? We might get ten pages of debate on this one. I'll go with yes.
After all species have risen and fallen before humans entered the picture animals adapt or they die.
Should we mourn this loss? Yes, but now I'm being hypocritical. :)

Should we have cloned Lonesome George or should we just accept that natural selection has taken place and accept that it is not our place to interfere?

The only point of cloning him would be to create a living museum piece for future generations. Some merit in that I guess.

when a species gets to the point where theres only one living specimen left,i dont think cloning would save it.
i agree that extiction is a natural process but it tends to happen over hundreds if not thousands of years,not decades.when a otherwise succesful species is wiped out by introduced animals,deforestation....human interferance.
Lonesome George came from an isolated island,with animals like,say giant pandas,they are an evolutionary dead end,people have sped up their decline,but they will die out anyway because they dont breed.it is sad to think that my kids might never see a living panda,but all the money being spent on saving pandas could be helping animal that can be saved.some species have been dragged back from extinction before by creating national parks and simply making people aware.if we can stop a species dieing out,we should make the effort,or the world will become a pretty poor place.

Why do we as humans feel the need to save species?
What does it matter in the big picture?
If an species becomes extinct isn't this just natural selection in action?
Should we mourn this loss?

1) Mix of Conscience and the fact the people to do actually really love working with particular species and do not wish to see them become extinct, similar to us with our reptiles. Imagine if GTPs or BHPs rapidly started to decline in numbers - people on this site who work with them would probably breed them even more to ensure there survival.

2) Honestly, it matters very little. Species go extinct, ecosystems get destroyed and the climate changes. Our world is always changing, by causing species to go extinct we really are only accelerating the process of change. After all, in our universe - the only constant is change.

3) Depends on what causes the species to go extinct - but really if it is our fault we've only just accelerated the process.

4) Depends on the person - some will mourn, others won't even blink.

5) Well it's really a bit late anyway. But I believe instead of cloning creatures - people should begin to create a DNA database of every living species on the planet just in case. Imagine if when we finally begin to cripple our planet and find another suitable planet and settle there. We could bring Earth's treasures with us - also it would ensure a viable, healthy ecosystem.

That's my thoughts.

Cheers, Scotty

5) Well it's really a bit late anyway. But I believe instead of cloning creatures - people should begin to create a DNA database of every living species on the planet just in case. Imagine if when we finally begin to cripple our planet and find another suitable planet and settle there. We could bring Earth's treasures with us - also it would ensure a viable, healthy ecosystem.

The British did pretty much the same thing when they settled here in Australia... brought Old Blighty's treasures over and released them, like foxes and rabbits, to ensure the ecosystem here better matched the one they were used to.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying. The idea of a DNA database is brilliant and, thankfully, already being established. Just not sure on the whole 'ensuring a viable, healthy ecosystem by introducing foreign species to a New World' concept. Unless of course the afore mentioned "suitable planet" was completely barren and void of it's own endemic ecosystem, which would be unlikely if it was to be deemed "suitable".

Just an example and a pretty bad example anyway. My main point was simply that we should have a DNA bank for Earth's fauna and flora.

If you want to avoid the bleeding heart aspect of saving biodiversity you can look at the economic value provided in the form of biological services by organisms individually or at community /ecosystem levels... plus a lot more we can get value out of as well that we might not be aware of now.. medical treatments derived from currently unknown plants or animals etc.

Im by no stretch a "greenie" but i do study environmental science and i find this is often the best way to explain to people the value of protecting the environment especially if they are somewhat indifferent to environmental issues.

anyone would have to agree,the rate of extinctions cause by man are not "natural" as so many occur in such a short span of time of earths existence.
why not treasure and conserve every living species we can?
Every creature in its own way is a miracle,a complex creation,a living work of art totally out of the capabilities of man to create.
As intelligent beings with the power to make change,we should engage our ability to do so.

Just sayin

Please explain how it is unnatural.
I agree we should treasure and conserve, but only to a point.
Everybody draws the line of conservation at a different point, what you may be prepared to sacrifice for conservation may be greater than me and others maybe less.
We are all driven by different needs and desires, it's human nature and therefore anything that results from our actions is a natural progression of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back