Questions for the Tassie Members

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sahatiel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I haven't posted in a long while, but Scrabble is doing well - getting bigger by the day! I'll take some new pictures and do a proper update on the weekend, but in the mean time, I have a couple of questions for those living and herping in Tasmania.

For a quick background, I currently live in Townsville, North Queensland and have an eastern blue tongue lizard (Scrabble). My fiance and I are planning to move to Tasmania in about twelve months, and want to take Scrabble with us.

Now I am aware of the very very very very strict importing laws Tasmania has with regards to reptiles. I am currently trying to find someone qualified enough to complete a species profile so that I can apply to have the list of acceptable imports ammended (if anyone knows someone I can contact for this, please let me know!), but am still concerned that getting an import permit even with eastern blue tongues on the import list would be hard. To that end, I'm thinking a wildlife display permit would be the way to go.

Does anyone here have a wildlife display permit? What's involved in getting/keeping this permit? So far all I can find is that it costs $28 and exists. Can anyone suggest any other options I have?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

HI Ya

Dont give up hope there are knowedgeable people on here you jus have to give them time to come online !!

There is no way they will let you import an eastern bluey.... However once you move here you can keep 6 blotched blueys on a free herp permit

There is no way they will let you import an eastern bluey.... However once you move here you can keep 6 blotched blueys on a free herp permit

Are people who do reptile displays in Tas allowed to keep any herps found only on the mainland?

Are people who do reptile displays in Tas allowed to keep any herps found only on the mainland?
yes they are, however, there are only very few like (4 or 5?) that have those permits and they are for only very select animals.I'm sure the government will not let you introduce a mainland blue tongue even if you did have a demonstration permit.
free herp permit > DPIPWE - Herpetology Permit - Application Form

by all means try if you think it is possible, but do not get your hopes up.

yes they are, however, there are only very few like (4 or 5?) that have those permits and they are for only very select animals.I'm sure the government will not let you introduce a mainland blue tongue even if you did have a demonstration permit.
free herp permit > DPIPWE - Herpetology Permit - Application Form

by all means try if you think it is possible, but do not get your hopes up.

So what are the species?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back