Lesbian Lizard?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleHiss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My female bearded dragon is 3 years old, there's a 7 year old male and female and a 2 year old female in with her. The tank is plenty large enough for the 4 but the male was troubling the girls, so I've removed him. Since then, my 3 year old female has been mounting the 7 year old female and 'mating' with her. They're sexes are 100% sure because I've taken them to several qualified vets who are well experienced with reptiles to be probed and sexed and everyone gave me the same answer. This female was in with several different males last season and nothing happened, she waved and teased them but nothing happened. When I took her out today when she just did it, I checked inside her cloaca and it's completely clear, though I left her on the carpet and she kept wiggling her hips like males do when they are mating! I don't understand what is happening.
Do reptiles have sexualities? Could it be that she's confused about her sex??? I know it sounds stupid but, hey.... I'm at a loss as to what on earth is going on.
She's seen the male trying to mate with the girls so is she just copying maybe? She's also the middle sized lizard out of three, and the one that she keeps mounting is the largest out of them all.
Could it be like dogs when they scoot because they have worms?
She isn't trying to grind on the carpet when I take her out, and she bites the female while she is 'mating' with her.

It is exhibiting dominance over the other one,or is really a male.

Sounds like a very confused lizard. I have no idea what's going on but thought I'd post and say thanks for the chuckle. :lol:
Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation for you!

My best guesses would either be dominance displays or something going loopy with its genetics similar to the fru gene in Drosophila​...but those really are just guesses! :)

i wouldent be worryed female cow's do the same Thing when there on heat

A long time ago when I was studying animal behaviour, I recall that in some animals, given the absence of any males, a female will take on the behavioural role of a male. Unfortunately it was too long ago to remember any details or references. But it sounds like that may be what is happening here if she is a guaranteed female. If this is the case and you put her alone in with a sexually mature male, she will revert to female behaviour. So I don’t think you have to worry about her being a closet ‘carpet muncher’ that had decided to come out.

Blue

^ +1 to this, just remembered I read about some examples of this sometime last year. Can't remember what or where, unfortunately.

sounds like shes very confussed and weird but i have a friend that was born a girl but is convinced she is a male changed her name to nathan (didnt get a sex change ) and now he believes hes a cat and got dermal wiskers piercings but i still love Nathan under all that weirdness hes a good girl o_O

Thanks Bel. I just sent you a PM. I should have added that you are a cheeky sod. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back