black headed monitor feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangrenous

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was just after some advice on getting black headed monitors eating pinkies. I have 3 black headed monitors they all eat crickets and roaches no problems, but only one of them will eat pinkies. Ive tryed the wiggle infront with by hand and with tongs but they just move away. If the pinkies are left on a rock or in a dish only the larger one will eat them. Any advice is very much welcome.

If you have the space separate them until the weaker one develops a better feeding response.

i keep them and they eat anything pretty much put in front of them like any monitor i've kept.are you giving them a hot enough basking area?maybe multiple spots if your keeping 3 together.

They need a hot basking area. I have a heap of them, I find that if they have a steady supply of crickets then they are less inclined to accept a rodent. I keep them hungry for a few days with no crickets then feed them (using tongs) each a mouse, starting with the most aggressive one. Even the most timid monitor will eat when they're hungry.

Thanks for the advice ill try holding off on the crickets for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back