Olive pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNGLE-JAK

Reaction score
how much does a "cheap" olive python go for these days, im looking to get a hatchie so i can watch it grow.all opinions are welcome.

Southern cross reptiles may have some left, i got mine for $220, and they are great there. Snakes can be like tattoos sometimes though, cheap snakes arnt good and good snakes arnt cheap, but in this case i got the best of both worlds :)

You can expect about $500-600 for a good quality animal, although I have seen a few go for $400.
Mine was $600.

The original price isn't that bad, it's the food bill for an adult Olive that stings.

why is a cheap snake not a good snake?
A muddy looking jungle could go for $100 when a bright one could go for $500 the muddy might be a great handler/eater. the bright one may not.
what animal would you prefer?
It obviously varies for many people, a breeder might prefer the bright colors when a average Joe blow might prefer the muddy one.

whilst I do agree that you need to be carefull when buying cheap animals to make sure they are healthy and what you are expecting.
Personally all my animals have been cheapish? my adult SXR jungle cost me $300 great eater, great handler, amazing colours?
He is my favorite snake i don't consider him a bad snake in anyway?
As long as your prepared for the Post cost (feeding, heating etc) i believe there is no reason not to search for a cheap snakes.
i have 2 hypo bredlis it set me back $300 for them both. they are also great.
as is my $250 het for albino darwin
My cheap $150 jungle is also another great animal i brought. etc.

Very true, as long as the animal is healthy thats all that really matters, and the snake isnt cheap because its been wild caught or stolen or something else dodgy. I picked up a atherton jungle for $50 last year, and he has turned out to be a really awesome looking yearling, with stripes that rival my $700 tiger jungle.

We got our Olive from Jeremy at Reptile Territory for $200 & he is a dream to have. Had him since last April & he is going to be 2 in November. Gorgeous looking snake with an amazing temperament, never bitten any of us but has a ferocious appetite, never had an issue with him.

I just got a 7 month old Olive for $250 from a breeder about 2 weeks ago and his a bit cage defencive and awesome when his out...

My olive cost me $450 and is an amazing reptile she is 9ft long and still hasn't finished growing. I wouldn't ever by a cheap a snake unless it's from someone I actually know.

There's nothing wrong with buying cheap animals, cheap does not necessarily mean crap, nor does expensive mean high quality.

Buyer beware and all that. Personally I think just because you're paying top dollar for an animal does not mean you shouldn't check it over etc.

Our cheapest snake was free, came with an enclosure I bought. He's the spawn of satan, so I guess we got what we paid for!;)

I paid $40 for Stompy, my gimpy water dragon because I fell in love with him. His tank mate Not Stompy, is perfectly proportioned, a very healthy specimen etc, and he was free. Again, he's an evil bugger, but is mellowing out slowly.

So far, what I have learned is that free animals will try to bite you at every opportunity, but they get better;).

how much does a "cheap" olive python go for these days, im looking to get a hatchie so i can watch it grow.all opinions are welcome.

A cheap olive is usually "Free" .

There's nothing wrong with buying cheap animals, cheap does not necessarily mean crap, nor does expensive mean high quality.

Buyer beware and all that. Personally I think just because you're paying top dollar for an animal does not mean you shouldn't check it over etc.

Our cheapest snake was free, came with an enclosure I bought. He's the spawn of satan, so I guess we got what we paid for!;)

I paid $40 for Stompy, my gimpy water dragon because I fell in love with him. His tank mate Not Stompy, is perfectly proportioned, a very healthy specimen etc, and he was free. Again, he's an evil bugger, but is mellowing out slowly.

So far, what I have learned is that free animals will try to bite you at every opportunity, but they get better;).
No room for Logic on a forum!

Logic is for the weak.

I'm going to go free-handle some vens using only my lips and eyelids.

It's okay, I saw it on a youtube video this one time, so I'll be fine.

Last edited:
I'm picking up my new olive tomorrow from the airport. I think what I paid for the snake and the freight and the permits where very cheep. All the costs included was less then I was willing to pay if I found one locally. The best thing is that, the breeder I bought her from is an incredibly nice guy how couldn't have been more helpful as this is my first interstate buy.

We got our Olive from Jeremy at Reptile Territory for $200 & he is a dream to have. Had him since last April & he is going to be 2 in November. Gorgeous looking snake with an amazing temperament, never bitten any of us but has a ferocious appetite, never had an issue with him.
I can definitely vouch for this as I was at Jeremy's the other day holding an Olive which was beautiful and handled great. I will get one, one day just got other things to get first. I think he does freight and I think he might only have one or a couple left.

Well by cheap im meant not some designer pedegree blah blah blah, just a good looking, healthy australian olive python.cheers liam for that comment and everyone who understood what i ment. i did say all opinions welcome so thanks every one for the input.

woohoo i may be getting a hatchie from sxr for $220 bucks, check out the hatchie olive in available hatchies on there site

http://www.reptilemania.com.au/photos/salepics-may/11BOO02Flge.jpg

Last edited:
thats not true! i spent $50 on my MD and she is awesome.

There are exceptions to every rule and that works both ways. Have got a cheap 'mongrel' dog that is just the best...have also seen people pay thousands for animals that really they just shouldnt have.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you should be paying for what you actually want, handle the animal etc etc and make sure its a good feeder and everything else you want. All of our olives are passive and inquisitive and we are all happy to sit and watch tv with any of them laying across us...with that said I've seen olives that would quite happily rip someones face off at any given opportunity.

You get what you take the time to find...and pay for ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back