Hide idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leamos

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I got a takeaway pasta for dinner last night, it came in a black plastic takeaway container and it got me thinking with a hole cut into it, it'd be a perfect hide for a yearling snake or small lizard. They are a bit stiffer/sturdier then the standard clear ones too. Did a quick google search and found a place you can get 50 for less then $15, working out at 30cents each and probably even cheaper if you bought more. Does anyone you these as hides?

600x600-1_7181265.jpg

The black is probably also good because they wouldn't be able to see movement through it so it would feel safer.
Plenty of people use them mate.. Just look tacky

I disagree, I think they look fine. Plus 30c compared with something that's $10 or $15 from a pet shop because it looks a little bit "natural" is a big difference.

Plenty of people use them mate.. Just look tacky

In a display enclosure, yes I agree jonez but I was more thinking using them in tubs or rack systems were looks ain't an issue and you have many snakes to provide hides for. The plastic containers can be cleaned and disinfected where as toilet rolls, light bulb boxes and other cardboard options are a one use thing. But hey it was just an idea

PM sent, but i'm sure any hospitality supply shop will stock them

Buy chicken necks from Coles and you get the black container for free :)

I got a takeaway pasta for dinner last night, it came in a black plastic takeaway container and it got me thinking with a hole cut into it, it'd be a perfect hide for a yearling snake or small lizard. They are a bit stiffer/sturdier then the standard clear ones too. Did a quick google search and found a place you can get 50 for less then $15, working out at 30cents each and probably even cheaper if you bought more. Does anyone you these as hides?

View attachment 261806

Perfect for young snakes plenty of privacy. I currently use the boxes my basking globes come in, now that's tacky

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 59
It's a good idea and they don't look too bad,very similar to some commercially made hides that I use and certainly much better looking than various other plastic containers or cardboard boxes people use for hides.Besides,the snakes don't give a toss what it looks like as long as they feel secure in them that's the main thing.

What looks tackier?
P1040402 (800x550).jpg

Did a bit more searching and 'Castaway', makers of a range of food containers, make 750mL and 500mL rectangular ones as well as 225mL round ones. So plenty of options for hatchies and juv snakes

Last edited:
We went from toilet rolls, to postage tubes, to the little cardboard boxes you get in the Bunnings "throw out" piles. Each as tacky as the next and each as well loved as the last :p

I think there is a lot to be said about the comfort of cardboard. I think I will be lining any large hides as ours grow, they seem to prefer the texture to anything plastic.

What looks tackier?
View attachment 261831

Did a bit more searching and 'Castaway', makers of a range of food containers, make 750mL and 500mL rectangular ones as well as 225mL round ones. So plenty of options for hatchies and juv snakes

The Phillips boxes are just so damm attractive. All our little ones like em anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back