realeste and reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rissatimmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
was just wondering if you rent,
how you go about it with your realeste?
do you hide them?
do they know? and if they do know how did you get them to agree to it ?

I asked my landlord for permission in a written note and I made sure to say that I was licensed and experienced and they would be kept in the appropriate locked enclosures and they said it was fine. I have hidden reptiles in the past though and it is stressful and annoying and I find it much better when you have permission.

mmm yeah, i have a spotted and his pretty simple to hide.. but the stress of hiding them defiantly is a stress i wish i could lift off my shoulders,,

what would you say is the best way to go around it,,
i was thinking just mentioning the word reptile..... not snake . hahah

mmm yeah, i have a spotted and his pretty simple to hide.. but the stress of hiding them defiantly is a stress i wish i could lift off my shoulders,,

what would you say is the best way to go around it,,
i was thinking just mentioning the word reptile..... not snake . hahah

- - - Updated - - -

oh also i live in a sky rise in the middle of surfers paradise ;/

As it grows and needs larger enclosure it will become harder to hide.

My real estate is very specific that everything has to be be in writing but they are fine with emails which is great because I was to chicken to ask face to face, lol. I just asked if the owner would allow me to keep a python on the property and then stated that I was licensed and experienced and they would be kept in the appropriate locked enclosures. It took 3 days to get a reply but they said yes.

oh.....hmmmm..... might make it more difficult to get permission in a skrise, lol.

If you ask and they say Yes you are ahead.
If you ask and they say no, you can still hide the reptile and you will be in breach of you lease, the same as if you hide it and didn't ask.
So, asking should not disadvantage you and may be to your advantage.

We moved into a house with 30-odd reptiles a few years ago and it was all good until they wanted to sell. Fortunately for us we were straight up and honest, it was all written on the lease, and there wasn't anything they could do about it. We politely pointed this out, they tried to boot us - no avail. We didn't go anywhere. The main problem he had was that he was worried our snakes would scare off any potential purchasers. The funny thing is people spent more time talking to us about the snakes and less time looking at the house, we even converted a few people with phobias lol. The new owners even offered us a 10 year lease, which we declined at the time due to other plans.
We had worries about security, thankfully the agents were respectful of our wishes to have no open homes and all inspections were done on a person-by-person appointment-only basis, if only our current agents were so understanding. The only blessing we have this time around is that all of our reps apart from our daughter's bluetongue are at an alternate location on license, originally a temporary arrangement until we got settled, and all that has been stolen is my pounamu pendant which was custom carved for me by a family friend as a wedding gift; a stunning 10-inch triple-twist piece of kawakawa jade. Gutted :(
Personally I can't wait to own our own home, I'm sick of the stuff-around of renting, but it's what we have to do presently. Be open, be honest, if they say no then move on - it's not worth the hassle of hiding and something better could come along in the meantime. As long as you're open if you have any dramas then they have no leg to stand on.

My current real estate didn't really care about me keeping snakes, they were more concerned about me letting my beardies out and them pooing on the new carpet. All they asked was if I had a licence to keep them and that was the last I heard of it. First inspection was hilarious, the property manager was peering into one of my enclosures and just as he finished saying "So you have you got in here" he noticed the snake and jumped back a few feet

Hey as a person that owns my house and looking at buying another one soon i would perfer it if someone actually asked me if they could. As a fan of reps i would agree. Its all about being up front and telling them the truth. They will respect u more if u ask. Plus if they say no then its not the place for u. People are more understanding when u explain what they'll be in and everything. We live in a small 1st story appartment and where we store our snake u can see the light and the body corp has already asked if i grow weed cos one of the other people below us mentioned the lights. So if u dont ask or try and hide them its more stress on u and moving of the reps and u might very one day be caught out.

check with the tenancy tribunal. Last time i checked, i was told as they are kept in a locked enclosure and cannot damage the property in any way they are fine. Similar to fish in a bowl. The only issue i had was they wanted to make sure i wasnt breeding rats or mice

I am caught in the rental cycle trying to save but not really progressing that quickly. The last two landlords have been fine with reptiles (via realestate) and no dramas at inspection time. Breeding rats and mice was a big no no though.

Thanks guys heaps of good info.
They allowed us to have a 200L fish tank.
So I don't see why it should be a problem, as someone mention they are in fully looked enclousers. The only think I Thibk that will put them off is 'snake'

I was tossing up between the sneaky or honest approach; I ended up emailing the agent asking for permission, explaining how I was keeping non-venomous pythons in locked cages that only I could access, how they were similar to keeping aquariums (which were permitted) and the snakes would only be let out under my strict supervision. He forwarded that to the landlord and both were happy with it. The only thing I may have stretched the truth with was number (I said 2-3, ended up with 5 lol).

When he visited for the house inspection he was very excited to see my pythons and even had a play with them! Although he did think they lived in my desk drawers, ha ha.

I'd go the honest approach: if they say yes, yay! If they say no, then you can decide whether to be sneaky or not. Keep in mind that inspectors have to give before an inspection, so that gives you time to hide stuff. Good luck!

Back when I first got into snakes, while living in Nth Qld, the property manager was terrified of snakes so our property inspection literally consisted of her walking through the house at a fair pace, inspections took about 30 seconds, no joke. The other tenants didn't like it thou because she'd spend the rest of the half hour in their units, and went thru with a fine toothed comb.

Fast forward to today, the 2 remaining tenants from when I lived there in the block of 4 units, now both keep snakes hahah

Even with the property manager being terrified of snakes they still allowed it?

Back when I first got into snakes, while living in Nth Qld, the property manager was terrified of snakes so our property inspection literally consisted of her walking through the house at a fair pace, inspections took about 30 seconds, no joke. The other tenants didn't like it thou because she'd spend the rest of the half hour in their units, and went thru with a fine toothed comb.

Fast forward to today, the 2 remaining tenants from when I lived there in the block of 4 units, now both keep snakes hahah

be honest, all they can say is no and you just keep looking for one that will allow it

lying and keeping any reptiles could be a breach of the lease, especially if they say NO pets etc and if you breach the lease they can and probably will use it to evict you

maybe take some photos of the locked enclosures as well as showing them a copy of your license, and submit them with a request to be allowed to keep them on the premises and to get them to look more favorably on you perhaps you could offer to be open to extra inspections until the owners can see your responsible and the reptiles are of no threat to their property or other tenants, this all makes you look responsible and honest and im sure that will matter more then anything else

Real estate agents can be bad though. My sister and I have an investment property, when we signed up with the agent they asked us about pets. we requested "pets on application", not because we want to turn anyone down, but just because we want to know what pets people have!:D
Yet at open for inspections, when asked if pets were allowed, they answered with a flat no. Not bloody happy! We know it's near on impossible to get a rental that allows pets, so we were none too pleased with that!

your right it is hard to find an owner willing to let their tenants have pets and you cant blame them but if the person is open to more frequent inspections and possibly a pet deposit then only those who really care will bother to apply, i mean the offer of more frequent inspections would probably only be for a while and once the owners or realtors realise you are responsible they probably will be happy to go back to however they normally have and with the pet deposit it also shows how responsible the renters are

all of this is a win win for both the owners and the renters plus goes on to giving you, the tenant, a great reference and probably will get you a continued lease for the place your already renting

maybe you guys need to be available for the open inspections to let those looking at the place that they can have pets on meeting certain conditions this too will also weed out any potential problem tenants but either way i would really make sure your agents understand you are willing to look at pets or suggest you will take your business elsewhere if this is an example of how they will NOT follow your directions then they might let other things 'slip' as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back