No more Megaray?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dailyskin

Reaction score
Heya. Haven't been on the forum in forever, but I'm stuck and really need help!!

We've happily used a Megaray External Ballast MVB for my beardie for a few years. A self-ballast didn't work, because the enclosure (well insulated with rock walls) got way too hot. And of course MVB doesn't work well on a thermostat.

So our current setup, in our 4x2x2 tank, is a non-heat fluro globe for light, then a 60 watt regular reflector globe for heat (on a thermostat). And a Megaray EB for UV.

With this, we get perfect temps - high 30s in basking spot, mid 20s in cool end.

Now, I am told you can NO LONGER get Megaray EB??? What should I use for UV? We have a screw-in fitting, but I think any of the other MVB are going to produce way too much heat.

Do I have to use a compact fluro? Is it going to be enough UV for her after enjoying 3 years of Megaray goodness?!

Thanks so much for any opinions or suggestions.

Heya. Haven't been on the forum in forever, but I'm stuck and really need help!!

We've happily used a Megaray External Ballast MVB for my beardie for a few years. A self-ballast didn't work, because the enclosure (well insulated with rock walls) got way too hot. And of course MVB doesn't work well on a thermostat.

So our current setup, in our 4x2x2 tank, is a non-heat fluro globe for light, then a 60 watt regular reflector globe for heat (on a thermostat). And a Megaray EB for UV.

With this, we get perfect temps - high 30s in basking spot, mid 20s in cool end.

Now, I am told you can NO LONGER get Megaray EB??? What should I use for UV? We have a screw-in fitting, but I think any of the other MVB are going to produce way too much heat.

Do I have to use a compact fluro? Is it going to be enough UV for her after enjoying 3 years of Megaray goodness?!

Thanks so much for any opinions or suggestions.

Hey Dailyskin,

Just wondering what you ended up going?

im in the process of making a 4ft tank for my beardie and as i like to be able to control my heat with a thermostat, the external ballast mvb sounded like it was perfect for me! have u gone with the uvb tube and heat lamp option instead?

regards,

Greg

Hey Dailyskin,

Just wondering what you ended up going?

im in the process of making a 4ft tank for my beardie and as i like to be able to control my heat with a thermostat, the external ballast mvb sounded like it was perfect for me! have u gone with the uvb tube and heat lamp option instead?

regards,

Greg
MVB cannot be used with a thermostat as it is visible light and will drive your animal crazy switching on and off all the time.

Run a compact fluro, they are cheap to run and work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back