Your thoughts on legalisation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should marijuana and E be legalised?

• Yes

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbral

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
There has been a bit of talk recently about legalizing marijuana and MDMA recently. Simple yes or no poll (your user name won't be shown on your vote.) Feel free to comment on why you voted one way or the other if you wish.

I usually like these arguments... And the stoners all come out with evidence of cancer curing, pain relieving, god given plant growing wonders.... While the alternative support the whole THC causes depression, the smoke causes lung damage and blah blah blah....

Then, the threads get canned very quickly.

Personally, the only cancer curing properties do not come from the THC producing plants at all, in fact, it comes from a plant that, even if you smoked, ate and (what ever else you do) ingested a few plants you'd be about as high as a person who doesn't take drugs....

So, those who wish to provide their stoner convictions by justifying some wonder drug, think again...

MDMA is a different kettle of fish... I almost see harm minimisation being the main issue there... But you know, if people can't be happy with what they've got, then there's serious other issues with them...

Personally, I quit drinking (and don't take drugs) just based on all the stupidity out there. I have never failed to have a good time at a party.

A few parties back I had one beer (ouch) in a dark bottle, and continued to fill that same bottle (once empty) with water... No one questioned if I was sober or not (they were all getting very drunk). Everyone had a good time, and I was still a sober driver (despite drinking like a dozen bottles haha).

So... Drugs? Do they really need to be legalised? Or can people just learn to actually enjoy themselves with what they've got...?

Well, personally pot puts me to sleep (So I don't see the point.) I know I drink and smoke too much but that's another issue.
Im more interested in if we think our tax dollars should be spent persecuting those who do these drugs or do we feel that our money could be put to better use else where.

While Im not going to say which side of the fence I sit on I'm curious as to what others think.

Geee, well, the social cost might not have an instant monetary value.... But I've seen what pot does to people under the age of 20 all to frequently... Oh, and it is just pot! That miracle drug that cures cancer... yer, that's the one....

So, while I don't think jail suits these people, drug users aren't the problem, it's the traffickers, producers and the sapless mules.... Viruses... Pretty much the scourge. Legalising it doesn't take away the scourge nor does it encourage 'tax' dollars. There is by far NO evidence to suggest that people would benefit from legalised drugs - just look at alcohol for example... Personally, I can't see the benefit of that legalised drug.

Socially, yep, tax dollars are better spent on taking the spineless dealers of meth etc off the street and stopping household production of drugs such as MDMA.

Cannabis is generally harmless, but it does have mild psychedelic effects, which can in some individuals cause paranoia and anxiety.

The problem here is not the drug, it's the person taking it! If you are highly strung, or nervous and agitated all the time - like I am - do not touch it. If you have a calm disposition sure, you will be fine. It works like that.

MDMA I wouldn't touch either, and meth, forget about it, there's no way I would touch ice. It's the worst of them all. Heroin would cause depression - not from the drug but from withdrawal. Coming off heroin is not nice, a friend of mine did it and still suffers from mild depression, and he kicked his habit years ago.

Should they be legal? Certainly. Governments have no legitimate role let alone any right in determining what substances we introduce into our bodies - harmful or not...by extension of common sense. For what it's worth the government claims to have no legitimate role in issues like abortion (in spite of the fact that 25% of the population think it's murder), so I will put it to them that they don't have any role in deciding what patients with terminal illnesses do with their bodies either, so that means barbiturates like pentobarbital are legal and sold over the counter like aspirin. End of discussion.

After seeing psychosis in two separate people who were very close to me, I wish marijuana could be made to disappear off the face of the planet.
You say the government has no right to tell people what they can and can't do. When the things that these people do has potential to harm me or my family (my best friend punched my mum in a psychosis rage and absolutely destroyed his parents house) then it is no different to outlawing something like drink driving.

I like smoking pot occasionally, just like I like to have a drink every now and again and would love to see pot legalised so I could do this without any stigma attached.

However, just because I can moderate the amount I have, doesn't mean that everyone will do the same thing.

I used to be all for legalising pot but I see what alcohol has done to people I know and I have no doubt that pot could and would do the same thing.

So I'm on the fence. Unsure if it is a good idea or not.

After seeing psychosis in two separate people who were very close to me, I wish marijuana could be made to disappear off the face of the planet.
You say the government has no right to tell people what they can and can't do. When the things that these people do has potential to harm me or my family (my best friend punched my mum in a psychosis rage and absolutely destroyed his parents house) then it is no different to outlawing something like drink driving.
Unfortunately stories like this seem to becoming more frequent, people are always saying its harmless it can cause serious damage to people. Not sure if it has anything to do with the strength that is being produced as a result of hydro or the chemicals they sometimes spray on them (a mate of mine his best mate would spray fly spray on the cone before smoking it, fried his brain). Drugs are one of the biggest contributors to mental illness, go into any psychiatric institution and you will see that the number of people without a history of drugs is small compared to those who use drugs.

Did your friend have any major issues before he was using cannabis? I wouldn't touch it, but some people claim that it helps with nausea and cancer therapy. Because I have Asperger's syndrome I would not dare to touch it, as my doctor warned me not to go near drugs, including alcohol or cigarettes.

As we speak I am tapering off Avanza (a well known anti-depressant) under medical supervision because it is starting to affect me in ways I do not like. Reducing my dosage by 10mg every 2 days. I'm starting to find withdrawal a bit difficult but I want this stuff out of my system so I am free of any thing that can affect me. If my depression comes back I'll need to try something else, as I've suffered from it since I was about 10.

That said, while I do not like what some of these substances do, I can't tell other people what they can and can't do. I think it boils down to the way I was raised. When I was young I was a bit of a busybody and little Mr high-and-mighty, but once I came into the higher primary school years I started to get that attitude beaten out of me. People generally do not like it, and the government doesn't seem to follow public opinion or in fact attempts to sway it. For what reason God only knows, but alcohol causes far more damage than cannabis does, even though the friends I know who take it are roughly the same as those who drink frequently.

I rarely if ever drink and never smoke, and will never touch any of these illicit substances for fear of their effects - not because they're that harmful - they aren't in general - but my brain isn't 100% normal, it was slightly damaged and this could make a big difference in how I am affected.

dpends on the people using it some can handle it ...other people just get way addictided and go overboard lol look at this synthetic pot its almost like meth/lsd in effects nothing l;ike pot it is more harmful, e /speed,mdma is made with 32.4g isosafrole in 120ml acetoneat its then dissolved in 60ml of MeOH (methyl alcohol -- methanol),
treated with (sulfuric acid), and heated for 3 hours..... an thats only the beginning ;) dirrrty stuff and it can blow if not done properly, i'd rather yarndi cuz its natural just don't go overboad and it is easy to get addicted

When it comes to pot I often think what type is it that makes people act like some have stated. Some are laced with other chemicals and others are not. In its natural form with no added stuff including chemical fertilizer, does it have the same effects on the body as pot that has chemicals added to it?!?!

I think before we go and make anything legal more tests and information is needed. And any tested done need to have strict guide lines as we all know, study's can be made to favor one side or the other depending on the person funding the tests, skills of the people testing, number of people being tested and so on. Like many medicines on the market that do have crazy side effects there needs to be clear guidelines on how to test products before anything is made legal.

Personally Im not sure were I sit. I use to be all for pot to be legal but now as I get older Id like more information on both sides. As for MDMA well again more info is needed before I can make my mind up. If it is used in a way to help people to kick the habit from other drugs so they can lead a better life.... Id like to see the evidence to support it. Right now the lack of any good information for or against is what holds me back to say one way or the other.

I'm not a 'stoner,' never have been, but I say yes (especially regarding marijuana) because like the above statement, legal drugs kill and harm people more than the above mentioned illegal ones. And the health and economical benefits of the ganja is amazing.

Did you know it's a statistical fact that more people are violated by dolphins every year than those who die from marijuana use?

ARRGGH THERE IS SPIDERS ALL OVER ME! AHHHHH THERE IS EARWIGS IN MY BRAIN! WHY AM I FLYING WHEN I AM ACTUALLY DRIVING!?

/thread

I'm not a 'stoner,' never have been, but I say yes (especially regarding marijuana) because like the above statement, legal drugs kill and harm people more than the above mentioned illegal ones. And the health and economical benefits of the ganja is amazing.

Did you know it's a statistical fact that more people are violated by dolphins every year than those who die from marijuana use?

What!? Theres dolphins That Rape people??

ARRGGH THERE IS SPIDERS ALL OVER ME! AHHHHH THERE IS EARWIGS IN MY BRAIN! WHY AM I FLYING WHEN I AM ACTUALLY DRIVING!?

/thread

Wow, this is not even close to the effects of pot. Gotta love how t.v has hyped all this up. I may or may not have smoked pot every single day for six years straight. Nothing like this ever happened to me or anyone I know. I'm not saying it has no negative effects but what you speak of is total cartoon rubbish.

lol triple choc cookies and heaps of starburst lollies and a loot of juice :) dont wanna get desert mouth

Decriminalisation and legalisation are very different things.

There are many opinions on this topic, and I feel that the large majority of them are uninformed. Harm reduction should be our number one priority.

Check out: Australia 21 | Shaping the Future

Also, have a look at what Portugal have done in recent years.

Those drugs are alreaded legislated as illegal. That doesn't work so maybe legislate them as legal like many other drugs, along with the appropriate controls. The main problem with illegal drugs is that there is no consistancy in quality and therefore effect. If drugs are legal and available through traditional legal sources like chemists and doctors then there is some control over the drug quality and supervision or guidance of their use. By removing the criminality so to would the big bucks go. It annoys me that now it is a cash business which costs society dearly whilst the suppliers and dealers profit without contributing to the cost and missery they inflict on society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back