jungles not wanting to shed well

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaper

Reaction score
it seems all of my jungle pythons are having a really hard time shedding. its all coming off in really small pieces (from 2-5cm chunks) they always have plenty of fresh water, the heats right (basking spots 30-32 and slowly dropping to the cool end at room temp), every other python i have is in the same conditions and have shed perfectly. but out of 5 jungles only 1 got it off in 2 pieces the rest are just slowly flaking off. in saying that the first one to do it has shed all of its skin without help just took 3-4 days once started

so should i be worried and is there anything i can do (short of the soak) to help them out. like more heat? less heat? spray a little water? moral support?

thank you

Hi Dreaper,

I had issues with one of my RSP's and shedding. She ended up losing the tip of her tail while I was overseas and in the care of another.

A respected reptile vet here in Melbourne, Shane Simpson, advised me to bathe or shower her when coming up to a slough. He also advised to spray down her enclosure with warm water every second day leading up to her shedding.

I still need to ensure all of the shed has been removed and still find small pieces of retained shed from time to time, but it has helped dramatically.

Heh, not meaning to sound cheeky but, I've posted this about 4x times today.

Make a humid hide. A tupperware container, sphagnum moss and a spray bottle.

Cut a hole/entrance in the container, fill it with the moss and then spray it down just until damp. Your snakey will go in there and hang out. Should have a perfect shed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe before goen a far as soaking or humid hide which are great ways to help with shedding try simply upping the humidity by giving the enclosure a good spray in the morning and when ya come home from work giving the enclosure time to dry out between sprays.

I don't know if this would make any difference but my 'warm' hides are all around 34c and none of my Pythons (Two MDs and One Jungle) have had problems shedding. Substrate was newspaper but have switched to coco-peat which keeps everything pretty stable as far as floor temps go (around 25, used to be 15-20 on newspaper).

The usual way they all shed is come out of their hides and soak in the water bowl (which is at the 'cool' end) for as long as it takes the shed to come off (while at the same time moving/rubbing around the outside of the water bowl or a branch to remove the shed), simple as that.

Hope this is of some help.

thanks for the help everyone, trying a humid box for one of them right now, hopefully works well :D also gave the other 2 a little bit of a spray in the enclosure to help out a little

Oh, if you have them in a glass enclosure (fishtank/aquarium) cover at least 1/2 of the top with a damp towel or aluminum foil, something of that nature. This will help to hold humidity in as well.

when or after you go for a shower put it on the showerscreen in the steam then put it under the basking light this always helps my diamonds when they have bad sheds

You can also wet a towel down, hold your snakey in it, give a gentle but firm squeeze around the snake, then pinch its tail. He/she will slide through the towel removing any retained shed it may have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back