Normally Placid python turned bitey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridgy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just after your opinion,
I have a 3 yr old spotted python, who has been very tame since I have had him. He shed successfully at the end of september. I left him alone for a week after shedding. Had him out on Wednesday night and he tried to eat my finger after being out for a while, he was very sneaky about it, and waited till I wasnt looking at him. I thought maybe he was extra hungry after shedding, so I fed him a weaner rat and put him away. He usually gets fed on friday night.
Got him out this afternoon and after about 5 minutes he tried to bite the meat of my palm, again no strike, just smell my hand and then opened wide.
I dont think that it is the smell of my hands, I always wash before handling and today I even used hand sanitizer before getting him out.

Any ideas why he would change his behaviour this way?

Cheers

i agree with the first reply, try maybe handling her with maybe glove or something and see if you get the same response, it may be that shes sensing a new source of food for some reason your hand may be giving of the scent she is looking for, try to mover her from this habit before she develops s strong one and becomes a problem with handling. if it not a feeding issue maybe she might be hurt and maybe your handling her in that area which migh aggetate her, but from your second incident i doubt its that.

PMS?

What is your feeding regime? How much does the snake weigh, its feed weigh? and how often do you feed him? Did he stop feeding over the colder season? (spottie? Nah, prolly not:lol:) What are the temps in his enclosure? Had you been eating/handling chicken? Rodents? (no, not eating.... just handling);)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back