Copyright and avatar phots.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaotikJezta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Plotting world domination from the depths of Hellb
What is the story with a whole bunch of new members mainly, using other peoples copyrighted pictures of reptiles as their avatars and profile pics with no credit or permission from the photographer. If you want a reptile avatar, use one of your own photos of your own animals.

Me too :D

I think Fay wins though

Last edited:
i got mine off web i thought it was funny i hope i do not upset anyone

I have just noticed some photos pop up that have been plucked off photography and herp sites and used as avatars. Some people have even stated they are not their pics.

Welcome to the internet ! Seriously though, in this day & age if people don't want their photo's "borrowed" then they should adequately watermark them before releasing them onto the web.

Personally I think it is common courtesy to seek permission before using someone else's work, or at the very least giving full credit to the author (where known). Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like that, which pretty much brings us back to: Welcome to the internet !

Welcome to the internet ! Seriously though, in this day & age if people don't want their photo's "borrowed" then they should adequately watermark them before releasing them onto the web.

Personally I think it is common courtesy to seek permission before using someone else's work, or at the very least giving full credit to the author (where known). Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like that, which pretty much brings us back to: Welcome to the internet !
Nothing cropping and or flipping the photo wont fix. There are always ways around watermarks. At least credit the photographer. And yes I know it is the internet. Its been a long week, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

i got mine off web i thought it was funny i hope i do not upset anyone

Can't help but like that and if my photo was used like that I wouldn't care, haha. But when it is used to give the illusion it is your animal or your photo kinda annoys me.

Sounds like a first world problem. Use your energy to do something more constructive.

Hahaha. As Rob said, if your going to put your pics on the net and you don't want them used , it's best to put a water mark on em. That way people always know who's photo it really was.

I am guessing some of that was at me - I dont have a RBB nor do I have any pics, I would love to go herping and get some pics of RBB's. Also I am not new, I was originally BH92. I just changed my username because RBB's are my favourite animal.
Sorry if it offends you that I am using this image as my avatar.
I asked and got permission off - Snake Catcher Brisbane to use their photo
For using this one pic. I still wanted to put in my signature that it was not mine, even though I got permission off them.

Some people just google an image of the snake they want as there is no way to get their own pic and they aren't necessarily claiming it is their pic or their snake it just looks better than having no avatar at all. It never fails to amaze me how bent some people get about this, I got swatted on the nose when I used (coincidentally a memeber from here) photo from google to illustrate a trait I was asking about. I didn't claim the pic was a fake or that it was mine but those were the abuse leveled at me.

Personally I use the net as a resource and you actually gave up ownership of your image the minute you posted it online as most sites have the site rule that photo's become the property of the site and no longer yours... FB is a prime example. Unless the members say 'Hey look at what I took' or 'This is a pic of my xyz' it really isn't that big a deal surely???

Oh and I'm pretty sure that is my pic in my avatar... :)

What is the story with a whole bunch of new members mainly, using other peoples copyrighted pictures of reptiles as their avatars and profile pics with no credit or permission from the photographer. If you want a reptile avatar, use one of your own photos of your own animals.

There are a lot more important problems than Avatars to worry about. We have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, whilst also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

(and the film is?)

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Last edited:
I don't really have a problem with it unless someone is claiming the image or what is in the image is theirs. If you don't have your own snake/animal or you're aspiring to get a specific species/colour it'd be very hard to get your own photo of said animal to use. Me personally, I prefer to use my own pics/animals though, but I like adding personal touches to anything I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back