Olive been sitting in water for 4 days

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaccaPopEye

Reaction score
I have a 1.5yo olive that usually sheds over 4-5 days.

Never had any issues with shedding in the past. However this time the same day her eyes went milky she curled up in her water bowl with just her nose tip sticking out - other than that completely submerged. the next day she haddnt moved at all so I opened the enclosure to check on her and she lashed out which is usual when shedding (she becomes very aggressive - couldnt be more oposite to non-shedding behaviour).

Anyway another 3 days later and she is still completely submerged apart from her nose tip and hasnt moved. It mostly worries me as this is an olive that hates water and over the last 1.5 years I have never seen her do more than have a quick drink so this is very unusual for her.

Temp in the enclosure is between 32-35 (usually the ambient temp of the room but there is a thermostat and heat mat if we have a cold burst). It is also the wet season right now so the humidity is quite high.

Anyone seen behaviour like this before or could she be sick?

Cheers,

Macca

Snakes sometimes do this when in shed, they are just soaking. Nothing to worry about. She probably moves around when you are asleep and returns to the bowl in the morning. I wouldn't worry. Wait until she sheds, if this persisits she could have mites but I'm almost positive she is just soaking before a shed.

Yeh I did just think that at first. I work shift work so I walk past on my way to and from work at all hours of the day and night, but because I was sure she wasnt moving I was noting the positions her head and tail were at and its the same time after time. Only time she moved was when I opened the lid on the first day. Im not too worried yet. Just thought I would ask, cheers for the quick reply

The main things that cause a snake to sit in their water bowl are shedding, mites & enclosure temps too high. Its probably just the shed but 32-35 is fairly warm if thats the temp of the whole enclosure, so that may be a contributor.

my bredlis have been known to soak up to 5-6 days before coming out and shedding 2-3 days later and their temp is perfect with hot and cool end.

if you have a hot and cool end and the snake does not have mites wait about a week and see she will probably shed in a week.

I live in darwin and its a local olive - the temps are just the local temp here. The heat mat only kicks in when it gets cold (not right now). So there isnt anything I can do about making it colder really but it is the temp they are used to.

When she has shed and stops trying to bite of my hand I will check the bowl

Do you have a thermometer at all to know what the "local" temps are though?

My MD sat in his bowl for near on 11 days, didn't shed at all, had no mites, temps were fine, he just liked it we figured out. (I made a thread about it as I had only had him for few weeks and was worried) LOL

The temp in the actual enclosure was about 33 for the most part. Did get up to 35 as a max for one very hot day and as its that hot the heat mat doesnt turn on at all.

But anyway she got out of the water last night while I was on night shift and shed must have been after 2am but before 6am. No mites in the water and a clean shed. I guess she must have just decided that all of a suden she likes the water bowl that has been there since I got her.

Just incase is there any other things I could do to check and make sure there is no mites?

Cheers

Olives and water are like bread and butter - you could never say that your Olive "hates" water just because it hasn't done the soaking thing before - Olives, especially large ones, are very often seen around or in water in the wild. Being in water for days on end is quite natural behaviour for this species.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back