How to Rescue a Snake from Bird Netting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Catcher Victoria

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
[video=youtube;mYXRDFimLkc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXRDFimLkc[/video]

Two snake calls for tigers in birdnetting yesterday, both in the same area on the Mornington peninsula.
Both these snakes were lucky to be alive.
The netting had already started cutting this snake but not seriously.
If people used the netting properly then they could still keep their crop safe and all our animals and birds would be safe from a long and painful death.

pesky mobile phones.....good job mate, people up here lay that netting down around their houses to catch the snakes in so they can then kill them, i heard of one bloke last year finding 6 browns caught i one day a killed them all, he killed over 25 for the summer just around his house.

I love the snakes face when it zooms into him near the start haha what a total cutie! all funnies aside bird netting is so terrible! I remember as a little girl sitting next to my father for 3 hours cutting every ring off a poor coastal!

Yesterday i was called to this tigersnake that was up in a tree with a mouthfull of blackbird.

I think this is why we see the tigers in birdnetting
a lot more than copperheads as the tigers seem to enjoy the chicks and eggs,
while the copperheads love their frogs and reptile more, maybe because of their heads shapes.

The tigers head is made to take birds and the copperheads head is made for smaller, smoother meals.

This was an extremely well marked and coloured snake that was coming up for a shed.

The temptation to take him home and get some pics releasing him in all his glory was there,
but this old snake deserved a quick no b/s release.
If you can release them within minutes of catching them its always better.

[video=youtube;HFi4lgUeWno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFi4lgUeWno[/video]

Hey wats the name of the course you have to take and how old you have to be to take it? See I live on a farm and every time there's. snake my dad kills it before anyone can even get the chance to appreciate how beautiful the snake is and are would like to take the course and get the right licence to catch and release the snakes that we one across not only at my house but others as well.

that tiger is the best looking one I have ever seen. What type of tiger was it?

love your work and effort. Have done a vens course and so apreciate the effort it takes and the respect you must have for these snakes

A copperhead this time.
[video=youtube;TSMKWZ1bpQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSMKWZ1bpQc[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 275643View attachment 275644View attachment 275645
Some pics of the damaged scales and swelling from being caught in the net.
This snake could have lived for days before it died.
It is going to recover though and will be released far away from any birdnetting

Attachments

• za.jpg
    za.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 92
  • zc.jpg
    zc.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 94
  • zxx.jpg
    zxx.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
So far I've only encountered one snake in netting, a python. And the people were horrified that "their" house python was in danger. After the python was freed and returned to their backyard the guy went and cleaned up all the fishing nets and crab pots to ensure the animals safety.

Attachments

• 20120622_093157.jpg
    20120622_093157.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20120622_093216.jpg
    20120622_093216.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 82
Nice work, Baz. You mentioned on the video that snakes in bird netting can be in so much pain that they will even bite themselves. Can a venomous snake suffer ill-effects from its own venom?

Also interested in what kind of veterinary attention a snake saved from bird netting might need. It looked like you were happy to release that one immediately. How can you tell if they will be okay?

Nice work, Baz. You mentioned on the video that snakes in bird netting can be in so much pain that they will even bite themselves. Can a venomous snake suffer ill-effects from its own venom?

Also interested in what kind of veterinary attention a snake saved from bird netting might need. It looked like you were happy to release that one immediately. How can you tell if they will be okay?
A snake cant wont die if it bites itself, no ill effects at all.
This snake dosnt need veterinary attention but in some cases, a vet will need to stitch up wounds caused by the net cutting in. I now have a disposable veterinary staple gun and have stapled wounds on a snake with it, kept the animal in care and released it after Ive taken the staples out..Worked well.
This snake will be fine but heaps of animals die in the netting every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back