Mp3 players that are NOT iPods

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermensch

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a decent Mp3 that is NOT an iPod?
I am sick of iTunes and I refuse to put up with that horrid software any longer.
But internet searches don't seem to bring up much!
Help?

I did try that - unfortunately I could only bring up 1 that was anywhere near decent (8GB for 197?!) and the reviews were not that great.

I would just like to know if anyone has used one, and if they're any good.
I've been on Harvey Norman, JB, DickSmith and most of them seem like utter rubbish.

I think the market's mostly dying because most phones these days have enough storage to double as an mp3 player. That said, I had a Microsoft Zune for a while until I killed it (electronics + blunt force trauma = not a happy ending) I loved it, and found it to be fantastic. You'd have to buy it online though, they never released them here.

Last edited:
I did what you're doing now until I got over it. It's easier to stick with iTunes than find another imo :p I use my Samsung Galaxy S2 as an mp3.

You can use MediaMonkey for iPods instead of iTunes.

I'd love to use my Samsung Galaxy S3 for music - however the battery life would never cope with how often I listen to music in an average day.
(As much as I am an avid samsung lover) they really should be putting more into battery life if they want the music playing feature of smart phones to be more readily utilised.

sharkyy1o5 - I forgot to mention I accidentally killed my iPod ha ha. So while I have to buy something new ANYWAY I would really like to veer away from apple and iTunes.

You can buy a case for the SIII that has a battery in it for an extra 6 hours talk time. Might be an option for you?

Consider downloading "Advanced Task Killer" for your S3. The biggest killer of battery life is unused programs running in the background, and the default Task Manager just doesn't work very well. I can run my music all day on my phone, and actually use it as a phone without it dying before I get to charge it at night :)

dick smith has a nice range of mp3 players or try ebay. i can't stand itunes either.

Unfortunately as I worked in telecommunications I am well aware of Advanced Task Killer, my built in app killer and various other things I can do to save battery...I am also aware that I have a smart phone and thus my battery will suck.
I really just want an mP3 player - I spend all day playing games and going on facebook on my phone and it will just be easier to have a separate music device.

I will look Zune and Iriver up...thank you Snapped.

I had an Iriver and it served me well.
I currently have a Creative Zen, its a few years old now and still going all right.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent Mp3 that is NOT an iPod?
I am sick of iTunes and I refuse to put up with that horrid software any longer.
But internet searches don't seem to bring up much!
Help?

I'm a bit late to the party, but a mate of mine recently got back from Japan with a sony f807 I believe, only available in Japan so you might need to try ebay however it is 64gb and runs on the android operating system.

By the looks of it it'll do everything android can do but make calls so might be worth looking into

I'd love to use my Samsung Galaxy S3 for music - however the battery life would never cope with how often I listen to music in an average day.
(As much as I am an avid samsung lover) they really should be putting more into battery life if they want the music playing feature of smart phones to be more readily utilised.

sharkyy1o5 - I forgot to mention I accidentally killed my iPod ha ha. So while I have to buy something new ANYWAY I would really like to veer away from apple and iTunes.

Root it and flash a custom ROM such as Paranoid Android on it. I had 80% battery life when I went to bed. Today I used UStream Twitter and Facebook all day and streamed a movie as well. At 10pm my time I plugged it in to charge. I was at 4%. Not to bad on the battery life.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, turn your brightness down, stop all unneeded processes, turn off auto rotate, GPS and vibrate. Doing those few things should increase your battery quite a bit.

Sorry to get off topic.

About the mp3 players, I have no clue. I just use Pandora for the most part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back