blue care...some help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, the joys of the NT and Blueys.

I have no additional heat for mine and his main food source is specially formulated Bluetongue food (PM me if you want the name). He is now in a 1500x650x450 enclosure that gets an hour of sun a day and he thrives.

that sounds like a decent size enclosure,remember that blueys are an intelligent species who like to explore,so the bigger,more complicated enclosure the better

sniper just a question would a pit be good or to much rain in the wet?
Up here mate, as long as you had good drainage (Bottom drainage so your blue cant go walkabout or get stuck) and a bit of a raised area to help for sudden downpours, then a pit would be ok during the wet.

My suggestion would be to find an area where you want your pit and find a way to dump as much water in the area and see how it drains or if it pools.

My yard is mostly clay so unless I have a "raised" pit as such, it's not too good.

definatly will need drainage if out in the open, a strong mesh on the bottom works well and raising it would help. also make sure there is shade in there and places for them to hide. i feed mine fresh blueberries, strawberrys, banana, snails and defrosted mice/ rats (pinkies uo to fuzzies depending on the blueys size). but they will eat peas, crickets,woodies and corn and other stuff, mine are just fussy. also i dust with calsium and multi vitamin power every second feed. i use bark as their substrate and they love digging under it and hidding.

good luck

the one I will be getting is only a month old I take it rats and mice are off limits for a while? saintanger you bluey sounds like my beardy will only eat woodies, mealworms (freely) and only broccoli and apple (even that has the be tong fed or has no interest)

yeah she is very stuborn she eats apples too but must be cut up small, she gets hand feed alot to encourage her to eat. she will not eat anything that moves e.g crickets, woodies, mealworms. she will eat snails but i hand feed them to her.

i don't feed baby blueys any mice/ rats but the odd pinkie as a treat i doubt would do any harm.

mine also eats mince, i buy lean beef mince fresh from the butcher and only ever as a treat e.g once a month. and even then i have to roll it into a tiny sausage and hand it to her, lol.

so could someone give me some good care about blueys I am a total noob and want to get one tomorrow
A few people selling them at the moment up here can I ask who are you getting the bluey from? Just PM me if you want.
All the best.

Good luck mate and as always, pop a picture or two up

Sounds like Sniper has given you some great info +1
The attachments didnt work mate, I love Blueys and as hatchy's, even more cuteness.
You have to go into the advanced setting unfortunately to upload pics.

3egy3u2y.jpg
qu7yhu5y.jpg
4y3e2ede.jpg

How bout now?

I like him/her how do you sex them and what is a good name for it?

Best not to ask me for help with names, my dog was called Dog growing up. I also had Cat, Fish and Bird...

Best to wait until its a bit older when telling by body shape & size is semi accurate. Probing Blueys can do more harm than good from what I have read unless the person is really experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back