Cheap hides?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
* stick hand up*
Soak it in a bucket of water and drill it very slowly (after you've taken it out of the water ) :)

And watch your fingers for when the drill comes through... :lol:

I use the top of nescafe coffee bottles, give them a good clean, then cut a little section out.

And watch your fingers for when the drill comes through... :lol:

Yes ! Always remember your safety !!

DIY is supposed to be do it yourself and we've managed to come up with some cheap and cheerful ideas :)

Make sure you take pictures Caleb we want to see what you end up with !

Last edited:
I have found when drilling brittle masonry like tile or terracotta, use a masonry bit but turn the hammer function on the drill off, and drill with little or no pressure and slowly

Soaking terracotta pots really does help soften it ( if that's possible) and also eliminates a lot of the nasty dust

And DEFINITELY no hammer function on the drill! 8)

stubby coolers the flexible one i put a small pebble either side to stop it rolling.

I use stubbie holders for all my hatchies. they love them :p They are insulated and don't lose heat. I alsso use the paper mache idea ;) They look awesome if you do it right! :D

My little ones in their big enclosure like their wet suit style stubbie holders, but they also like the plastic dog/cat bowls with a cut away already in them, my yearlings are usually under these too. One of these to fit a 5l click clack shouldn't be more than $3 or $4 each, I pay about $7 for the real big ones for my bigger snakes, a big plus is that they're hard to knock over through design and easy to clean.

My girls love their little box hides...I just cut an appropriate sized "door" and place the box upside down. The only down side is when they've had a lovely poop and decided to slide through it and all over their hide I have to chuck the cardboard out.

Some pet water bowls have the hole for your finger for easy pick up - they make great hides cos hatchies love anywhere tight and the waterbowl is big enough to swim in
saperygu.jpg

I use plastic pots and the little things that sit under them for hides!
cut a hole file the edges if a bit sharp and ur done!
Or the plastic saucers for plants cheap a Bunnings

- - - Updated - - -

* sticks hand up*
Soak it in a bucket of water and drill it very slowly (after you've taken it out of the water ) :)
Small drill bit, several holes in the shape you want and a gentle tap should see it crack between the holes

Great ideas better than the craft crap ya see on better homes n gardens lol

LOL yeah we're full good ideas. It always amazes me the wealth of helpful information within this community. Sometimes it just takes the right question and a couple of people to start the ball rolling and away it goes.

Speaking of balls - el cheap balls (that always go flat as soon as you get them home ) keep them. Cut them in half and cut an access hole and you either have another two (colorful ) hides or you can use the whole ball -before it goes flat- as a mould for your paper mâché hide, give it a quick spray with the cooking spray before hand to stop it sticking.

I found an old type of ceramic biscuit barell, sort of like a 2 litre coke bottle only with straight sides, I'm going to cut it in half with a grinder with a diamond blade, so I will have 2 hides

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 33
Any of the others can look decent with a quick dab of paint. Otherwise get creative and mix up some paste and do a bit of your own paper mache, make a hide and paint it to look like a rock or what ever you choose.

Silver paint could give the boxes an industrial look especially if you then dot some black paint rivets around the seams. Look up 'Making scenery for Warhammer' you will find heaps of cool ideas.

Warhammers great!

For new hatchlings I have used toilet roll centres, but now prefer tablet boxes (Panadol, etc). I upsize the box as they grow. These offer a nice tight hiding spot which makes the baby feel secure. They are free and you just chuck them when they get soiled. They also make it easy to pick up the hatchling for cleaning. When the hatchling is big enough, a plastic ice cream container upside down (rock on top) is simple and easy to clean/replace. For my breeders, I use a larger plastic basin upside down with a rock on top. I also have a plastic type of woven square basket as a hide in one enclosure. It is upside down and the handle holes allow front and back 'doors'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back