How does my click clack setup look

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VK2EMP

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With less than a week till the arrival of my new pet snakes, I have set up two click clacks for them. The one on the right is for a 3mo Spotted python (I have a feeling the hides are way too big, so have toilet paper rolls ready just in case) and the one on the left is for my 3mo Woma.

Each snake has its own heat mat and thermostat so the woma gets his 35 degrees and the Spotted gets her 32 degrees. Its a warm day today so themal gradient wasn't that great until I opened the bedroom floor to celing sliding door a few inches.

These are 10L Sistema tubs like everyone is using for click clacks. The small black boxes in each are there purely to measure humidity, I do the temperatures testing with my laser thermometer gun.

Paper towel for bedding and a small ramiken each as a water bowl.

The bedroom door has been closed for the last few months except for entering and exiting the room as i smoke, and now the snakes are coming, I have banned smoking entirely from the house.

I am kinds excited, nervous and anxious - next wednesday I'm going to be a snake daddy!

Attachments

• Clickclacks.jpg
    Clickclacks.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
looks good! However i would remove the humidity sensors when you've tested that the numbers are ok. Humidity monitoring isnt really important, as long as its not stupid high (80+)
They're taking up valuable basking space

Yes I will be removing those when the snakes arrive :) They'll be replaced with garden mesh for climbing and a fake plant for overhead cover.

Humidity is over 80% but its been 90+% humidity in sydney today - I'll see what the humidity is like tomorrow and see if the hygrometers track. Worst case I get a small room dehumidifier and keep it around 50-70%.

Getting all this dialed in before the snakes arrive is my goal.

Last edited:
I could be wrong here but I'd just let the humidity be what it's going to be on the day. One day it may be higher, the next lower. I wouldn't worry about a dehumidifier etc. I have something that measures the room humidity but I very rarely look at it, you'll find it's not really something people keep much of an eye on. Especially in Australia where we have really good humidity. Again, if I am incorrect please let me know. This info I have learnt on this site.

With excessive humidity snakes can get an RI or scale rot. My humidity is in the mid 80's which isn't good. This says to me I need more air holes in the tubs, as my water bowl is aready small (ambient humidity today is 59%)

I' going to try an experiment later - I have a few of these 10L tubs so I'm going to get 3 of the lids. One will have half the lid with holes, one will have 3/4 of the lid with holes, and the third will be 95% holes. I'll use my Woma mk1 (the current iteration of tub) as the control, and swap the lids on the spotted pythons enclosure. I'll take the humidity from the readout on my home automation system as a guide to ambient humidity. I'll swap each lid out and let the experiment run for a few hours with each lid.

When I find the lid that closely tracks ambient humidity, I'll copy that design for both enclosures.

Half holes lid experiment running

edit probably #26. WOOHOO! that was it - just not enough air holes :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the humidity, it is what it is. The only time I worry about it is when my childrens is going to shed, he's the only 1 in my house that seems to have problems shedding

Well both tubs are now tracking ambient humidity at 75% (2% above ambient) with the lids that have half of their surface "holed":)

Edit: both snakes are in now. Spotted Python (Thunder) is kinda shy and hides all day, but comes out at night and relaxes on her fake plant above the warm hide. Lightning (Woma) is always out. I'm going to feed him tonight, as he is very confident and looks plenty settled in. He no longer strikes at the tub walls when I come into the bedroom to look at them, and seems pretty chilled resting on the warm end most times.

Last edited:
Back