On the rebound

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well I drove out to the Belyuen Community on the other side of Darwin harbour today. I saw 7 mertens monitors on floodways and creeks from the car. 5 years ago you saw none. They are definately back and have learned the cane toad lesson. I love these guys so it's just great to be seeing them in numbers again.

1 even posed for a photo before diving into the creek

DSC_0022_edited-1.jpg

Stunning animal Steve. Are Panoptes also making a comeback, I read somewhere that their numbers also seemed to be increasing.

They may be but I haven't seen one for yonks. Used to see monsters standing up above the meter high grass at Coroboree or intimidating small crocs on the shore. One time I thought there were 2 fat men wrestling on a beach but it was two huge panoptes. I hope they do come back. Impressive beasties.

Bloody cane toads!!!!!!! we have them here in Port Mac now around lake innes, i have a friend that is a ranger with NPWS and he was telling me that in the last 12 months he personally has found 15 RBB's dead around the lake and all of them had the same in their gut when he cut them open...."bloody cane toads" he also does not see as many lacies as he used to either so steveNT i hope we have the same happen here as in Darwin and they start to learn not to eat the bloody cane toads................................................Ron

Thats great news Steve, they really are great looking monitors and i hope the numbers continue to increase.

I remember going fishing/camping at Coroborre and Shady Camp many years ago now and remember seeing some monster panoptes just cruising around quite close to our campsite. Very impressive indeed.

I love Merten's monitors. I am very pleased to hear their numbers are increasing.

One time I thought there were 2 fat men wrestling on a beach but it was two huge panoptes. I hope they do come back. Impressive beasties.

Sumo panoptes.

That is excellent news that they are on the rebound, I love Mertens and hope to add some to the collection as soon as I finish the Reptile Room

Bloody cane toads!!!!!!! we have them here in Port Mac now around lake innes, i have a friend that is a ranger with NPWS and he was telling me that in the last 12 months he personally has found 15 RBB's dead around the lake and all of them had the same in their gut when he cut them open...."bloody cane toads" he also does not see as many lacies as he used to either so steveNT i hope we have the same happen here as in Darwin and they start to learn not to eat the bloody cane toads................................................Ron

The local predators will take a big hit but most of them will rebound in time and learn to live with the cane toads. Unfortunately there is not yet a good solution to the cane toad problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back