Bunnings melamine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
I'm building some new enclosures and I'm trying to decide where to get my melamine. I've heard quite a few people on here say that Bunnings melamine is poor quality because it's not HMR, and it's better to get it from a cabinet maker. But
I went to my Bunnings to see what type of melamine they had and it says it's HMR. So is it ok to get it from Bunnings?

I've also heard negative things about getting Bunnings to cut your wood, as they're not accurate. Is this true? Has anyone found them to be fine at cutting? I'm worried about cutting it myself, as I don't want to chip it.

I've used bunnings melamine on about 8 cabinets and can't complain about quality. Half the cabinet makers buy there melamine from bunnings anyway. As for cutting it just buy the pre cut sheets, think they come in 450 and 600mm wide lengths at about 4 foot. Just make sure you seal the joins so no moisture from there water or urine gets into as it swells alot....

There saw chips so u have to decide ... Pay 3 times the price or do it yaself ... I brought cheap saw from bunnings for $50 knowing its guna get used as my collection grows lol.... It only chips ain't 1 side so the good side I put outside and siliconed all the inside

Use a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade and go slow and it won't chip on either side :) but the silicon is a must and also don't forget air vents :D

Use a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade and go slow and it won't chip on either side :) but the silicon is a must and also don't forget air vents :D
Jigsaw? we Aynt got all day lol........vents ^^^^^^

Thanks for the help. The pre cut ones probably won't be big enough. I'll just get the big sheets from Bunnings and get a cheap saw and give it a go then. And yes, air vents are very important. I won't forget them lol.

Lol, ozimid.

HMR melamine is fine,it's actually better than non hmr as it is more moisture resistant.

If you have Mr ply and wood where you are check them out they will cut everything to size and do it better than anyone at bunnings would.

The full sheets from Bunnings (2420 x 1220) are HMR (moisture resistant), the smaller sheets used for shelving etc are not HMR and will disintegrate if they get wet, or even if they are damp for any period of time - totally unsuitable, even if you silicone the edges. The moisture resistant HMR has a greenish tinge in the matrix, non-HMR has no green tinge.

Jamie

Depends on the Bunnings I guess all different areas would have all different suppliers I'd imagine but the one I used rutherford NSW was fine I left a computer table I made outside for weeks and it rained constantly and it hardly if at all swelled. Even used a piece to route out for a heat cord and was brand new once I cut the dirty ( been sitting in dirt) end off....

My cabinets I've built have been fine and my bunnings hasn't chipped the woood on me once but I always go to the same old guy who seems to know what he's doing and doesn't charge to cut it to size. Guess it depends who you get also

If it takes you all day with a jigsaw mate you should probly give it up and buy one already made lol

If it takes you all day with a jigsaw mate you should probly give it up and buy one already made lol
I think he was just insinuating that its not really the right tool for the job. A jigsaw is a very slow method and better suited to cutting shapes than straight lines. A circular saw or table saw with a fine toothed blade would be a lot more efficient.

The shelving sized melamine at bunnings is garbage...
The full sheets are a little better but I would still shop around for better stuff , try Mr Play and Wood or a kitchen maker.

Yes the Bunnings Melamine is fine to use, just do what everyone has suggested about silicone at the joins and air vents, as far as chipping is concerned if you lay down a double thickness of masking tape at the cut line and cut in the middle of the tape there should be no chipping from iether a hand saw or circular saw just make sure you mask both sides of the melamine before you cut............................................Ron

yes the shelving melamine is not the greatest quality but if sealed up correctly then there r no drama's...JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back