Jungle yearling help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Langan21

Reaction score
Hi I bought a jungle yearling about a month ago i was told he was about 7 months old from the pet shop but they couldn't give me a proper answer as to what he was eating so iv weighed him and his 53 grams so I was wondering what would be the best size food to feed him I know 15-20% is the best but over the last two weeks iv only been able to get him to eat one pinky rat a week that weigh about 6 grams iv offered him velvet rats that weigh about 10 grams but he won't touch them any suggesting would be appreciated

Could also be starting to go off food as it's been rather cold lately... Although none of Pythons that usually eat have gone off theirs yet.
But as cement said try (Hopper or Weaner - would be my choice) Mice and see how you go with those.

What do you mean the pet shop couldn't give you a proper answer as to what they were feeding it? I would be worried about buying a snake with someone with so little information/understanding of the basic requirements.

Thanks for the advice I will get some mice tommorow and the pet shop told me to feed him fuzzy rats that they sold me but after I got home i unwrapped them from the news paper and weighed him and the food I relized they were to big he weighed 53 grams and the fuzzy rats weighed 17-18 grams so they pretty much went striaght in the bin and i brought him because he came from a reputable breeder who was unable to them to the expo and every other thing they told me was spot on I didn't relize at the the time that they didn't give me the proper information about the food

Our 1yr old (approx) jungle is 900mm long and feeds weekly on hopper rats

7 months old and 53 grams seems strange most jungles hatchesaprox 2-3 months ago and I have a diamond jungle jag it's 2 months old and weighs 45 grams so mabie is about 3 months or the not preferred option it was a non feeder and is a very under weight yearling (7 month old) mabie if it eats only pinkies at the moment try 2 at a time for now

Yeah your Jungle seems pretty underweight.
Mine just turned 14 months old and is about 1.5m and 800g.
Eats 20-25% it's body weight every 10 days.
You could of kept the Fuzzy Rats in the freezer rather than binning them.
Keep this in mind for next tme.
Good luck with the Mice and see if you can find out the proper information about the Jungle.

Yeah his about 30-40cm but I went back in to the shop today and asked and now there telling me the breeder told them that his almost a year old and when I asked why he only weighed 53grams they told me its because he came from a big breeder up north and the his got a lot of snakes so he doesn't power feed them does this sound correct or are they giving me more false information

7 mths old would mean hatching out in late sept, which is unlikely, more likely is that the animal is younger then they claim IMO

You could also try verious scenting methods to get him eating again if you really start to worry.

I fiinally managed to get some day old Quail for my fusser eater Murray Darling.
See how he goes with them. Tried pretty much everything else. Has always been hit and miss.

Yeh I'd say the people in the pet shop have no idea probably just trying to sound smart and try to keep you happy I'd put my money on its a baby not a year old sounds like you know what to do and I'm sure it will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back