New enclosure, clickity clack and a Spotted hatchling!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeahMarie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would love your help to put me at ease. I have had snakes for nearly a year now - I got my first Childrens Python for my 21st last year from "Pet Barn Nerang" on the Gold Coast. I bought a tank set up and she was happy once I sorted her tank and whatnot out - eventually she turned feral (unknown reasons, and eventually I stopped interacting with her) - About 3 weeks ago, I traded her in for a new baby Spotted Python from a breeder friend who said this little baby was amazing (and he is, has not bit me yet, has fed prefectly, shed and also poops fine) who hatched on 08/01/2013. At the moment I have it in a 30cm by about 10cm plastic container with holes, astro-turf, a small hide as well as a small water bowl.

HERE is where I need your help. After talking with some other snake friends I decided to buy a Wooden tank in replacement for the larger glass one I had earlier. It has a built in light socket - so I screwed in my 50w HEAT GLO light that was previously sitting ontop of my last glass tank mesh. I put his clickity clack in there and put the small exoterra round thermometers on the side (I plan to get an electric thermo probe next weekend) close-ish to the lamp, about central on the side of the tank. I didn't put in the heat mat I had purchased previously because I was told I didn't need to. When I checked the temperature gauge earlier it was well over 30, and was probably nudging into the 40's, and I had pulled his tank quite a way forward so that its hot end wasn't directly under the light. I was afraid it was too hot in there so I turned the light off and replaced it with one of my 25w NIGHT GLO Exo Terra lights. The thermo says that it is at 30. I dont think he is warm enough though. So I need your suggestions!

I would upload some photos, but no way I try seems to let me. Hopefully someone can understand my gibberish to help me out.

I have my heat mat here. It is a 5 Watt Reptile One 14cm x 15cm one that I have. It does say "only to be used with glass terrariums" sticker on it, but I have seen another person post a photo with a reptile one heat mat that looks exactly the same with the click clack resting ontop of it..ugh, I need help guys! :(

When my spotted hatchie was in his click clack, I sat one end directly on the same 5 watt heat mat you have, the temp was around 32, I had the heat mat plugged into a thermostat with the probe on the mat

Okay, so I used some small adhesive "surface protectors" that dad had lying around the house to keep a about a 1cmish gap on each side of the mat to make sure it has some airflow, and to keep it so that is isn't directly sitting on the click clack. It does say that is has a built-in thermal shut off to prevent overheating, should that be okay? He does have a good..1cm sheet of Astro-turf in there too, so it wont be too directly hot as well. Your opinion?

You really need a thermostat, set it up like Baturb has and all will be good. Whilst your heat mat has an over temp cut out this is a protection device not a control device and is only there to prevent overheating and potential fires. A simple cheap on/off probe thermostat is all that you need.

It should be okay though for tonight, to keep him warm? I won't set my room on fire or melt his container? :s

The thermostat is just to make sure his temperature is ok, or to keep the mat from getting too hot? Sorry for the stupid questions :(

Nevermind, I figured it out. Sleepy brained. Do you know where I can pick one up and for how much? Does Jaycar or Bunnings sell them?

Check out some of our sponsors web sites. What state are you in? Someone may direct you to a store nearby.

Try Scales & Tails on Brisbane's southside (Oxley), great help and good choice of products in regard too thermostats etc..

I second this suggestion. I actually took time out from my holiday on the GC last year to visit the store not once, but twice. Joy & Troy are very lovely and welcoming people. Paul Bluey's aquarium (next door) is worth a look, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back