Thick Tail Gecko Breeding???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevalo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey so i got my first thick tail at the beginning of the year and would like to eventually breed. he is about a year and a half old and inst that used to handling, he is easily scared when i put him in a container when i clean his cage. i want to get him female at the beginning of next year to breed. so i have a few questions.
1)How old will they have to be to become sexually mature?
2)Can he still breed even though he is easily scared or does he have to be tame?
3)When they are ready to be put together what are the specific things I need to do?e.g. change temp or add lay box
4)i have heard that females can lay multiple clutches in one season. if I only want one clutch which I'm assuming will be 2 eggs can i remove the male or the female so she doesn't lay any more or does she have to lay the entire season?
5)also do i need an incubator or can i just have them on a thermostatically controlled heatmat.
other than that is there anything else I should know because its my first time with reptiles and know nothing about breeding
OK thanks :)

Also are there any good books that have anything on thick tails that are worth getting?

1) 60-70% of adult size
2) Tame is irrelevant
The rest of your questions can be answered by these publications.

Keeping and breeding Australian Lizards edited by Mike Swan
A Guide to Australian Geckos and Pygopods in captivity by Danny Brown.

3- they will need to be cooled (temp cooler) for a month.
They will breed like crazy in spring.
4- not sure
5- whatever gets the desired temp can be used as an incubator

If you breed expect up to 3 or more clutches, that's 6+ hatchlings and this is an under estimate of qty's. Get the books suggested by Mad.

Good luck they are my 1st and top 3 favourite geckos.

Check out he gecko threads here to see colours and who has them :)

4)i have heard that females can lay multiple clutches in one season. if I only want one clutch which I'm assuming will be 2 eggs can i remove the male or the female so she doesn't lay any more or does she have to lay the entire season?

Once they have mated there is no need to pair them again as the female will retain sperm and lay as many clutches as she has been programmed (for lack of a better word) to. It could be anywhere from 1 to 9 clutches in a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back