HELP - green tree snake not eating :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflower

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

I have a gorgeous green tree snake who is causing me a lot of stress at the moment. His name is James and he has not eaten for about 2 weeks. He normally eats regulating once a week with no trouble at all.
I have recently done a big move and he was in a smaller container for the journey in the car and left him to settle for 24 hrs upon our arrival before I moved him back to his tank. When I moved him, he seemed very much himself and happy to be handled and moved back to his normal enclosure.

Since the move I had noticed his eyes turn very bluish and I suspected shedding. However it has being almost 2 weeks, no shed and still no interest in food.

I know snakes can go without a meal for several weeks however it is very much worrying me as it is not his usual behaviour :(

ANY advice or comments are very welcome. I do not have many friends that are educated with snakes and struggling to find a good website on this species of snake as a pet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 129
I don't know much about colubrids, but in one of the photos he definitely has milky eyes - so has probably gone off his food due to being in shed ( and maybe a bit of stress from the move aswell )

Shouldn't these guys be eating more than once a week though?

I was advised once a week when I first got him. He is only a baby and my first snake, he has always eaten well. I have being getting him onto pinkies and they are known to be difficult feeders.

I wouldnt be worried. Any day now he'll probably shed for you. It can take a little while after they lsoe the milky look to shed. How long have you had him. Is this its first shed since youve had him? I normally feed mine every 4-5days. However, as with any snake, a bit longer doesnt hurt, but they do have a much faster metabolism than pythons, so more frequent meals are more desirable. Mice pinkys I take, Thats good. One every 4 days is good.

Thank you for your help, I was a bit concerned because he lost the milky blue eyes. I am educating myself as much as possible about him. He came into my care and I decided to get my licence and keep him as his original buyer had to move interstate and couldn't take him. I truly love the little guy and the only person that ever handles him.
I have been gut feeding garden stints and baiting pinkies for him to try. He doesn't seem interested in them but will keep trying after his shed.
YAH I'm excited for his first shed :)

Sorry, I have had him for 3 months now. He is tiny still but is growing pretty fast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back