Best Rabbit Feeder Species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'Day All,

I'm starting to get into owning the larger pythons (Olives, BHPs,waters, bredlis, etc) and my petstore charges around $40 per frozen rabbit....rip offs:rolleyes:
So I'm wanting to breed my own rabbits. I've owned and bred rabbits before but never for snake feed. Is there a species that you find breeds better than the others? What species do you breed?

All help appreciated :)

(sorry if the post is worded weird, got the flu -_-)

I heard rex rabbits are best due to their bigger litters over dwarves. 2 males will fight so keeping in trios works great.

My dwarfs (pets, not food) had between 5-8 babies per litter last season, managed to get 4 litters last season (first season, thought we had 2 girls). I keep them in a 1200x1200x600mm (LxWxH) cage, previously were in a 900x500mm triangle hutch.

Rick

Cheers mate. Much appreciated :D

New Zealand white, ready in 8 weeks good litter sizes. Reach about 12lb.

I breed pet lops - I wouldn't recommend them for food.

I reckon either Rex or New Zealand Whites. I have heard flemish giants are okay but dont produce enough litters for their short lifespan as well.

Ps. Dwarves, beleive it or not, can be very hard to breed. I had Netherlands and couldnt get them to breed was told I had to "intervene and give them a helping hand:facepalm:" way too much work the rex and new zealand breed..... well...... like rabbits:D

I have seen a lot of flemish cross New Zealand whites for sale.

The Giant meat breeds are the best as they grow faster and are born a larger weight, hence less weeks to get to the size you need. For a comparison My 10ft+ olive girl takes down 1.5kg NZ meat rabbits approx. once a month. Bought from a breeder so not 100% on their age but I would say approx. 8-10 weeks old ?

Can you not find someone who regularly shoots feral bunnies in the Hills? You need to freeze for several weeks, just to be on the safe side, but you used to be able to buy very cheaply in bulk, especially if you know or can find someone who hunts regularly. I would think many pet shop breeds would be very fatty compared to wild animals also?

Can you not find someone who regularly shoots feral bunnies in the Hills? You need to freeze for several weeks, just to be on the safe side, but you used to be able to buy very cheaply in bulk, especially if you know or can find someone who hunts regularly. I would think many pet shop breeds would be very fatty compared to wild animals also?

Actually my grand-pa owns a farm and my dad and I go out shooting them regularly (great father & daughter bonding activity, eh?). I never knew that I could feed them to my snakes. Well at least now I have something to do with all the bodies and so much cheaper/easier than breeding! :D My boss also shoots rabbits regularly on her property, I'll just take them off her hands aswell :)

How many weeks do I freeze them for?

Personally Im not sure I would be feeding feral anything to my snakes. You maybe able to curtail some risk by freezing but I dont think everything can be managed that way.
This is not to say its the wrong thing to do, just not something I would get into.

Just be careful you get the bullets out lol ! or you will give your snake lead poisoning hahaha.

Personally Im not sure I would be feeding feral anything to my snakes. You maybe able to curtail some risk by freezing but I dont think everything can be managed that way.
This is not to say its the wrong thing to do, just not something I would get into.
That's what I was thinking at first...but I have heard of many keepers feeding so and their snakes are all very healthy so I'll give it a try. Thank you for your input though :)

Just be careful you get the bullets out lol ! or you will give your snake lead poisoning hahaha.

Haha, I'll make sure I do! That's the last thing I want! haha

I use feral animals as the main food source for my pythons, Gammon Ranges carpets and SA womas, and my larger monitors, and have never had a problem. I regularly shoot feral pigeons, Indian doves, blackbirds, sparrows and rabbits and freeze them for a minimum of 6 weeks as I have it on good authority that this is the length of time required to kill all parasites. its both practical and fun, not to mention cheap, as 500 air rifle pellets costs around $10 at most. also, be sure to use a high powered air rifle or small calibre rifle and the bullet goes strait through, I don't recommend using a shotgun for this purpose as extracting all the shot is very time consuming. Getting your licence can take quite a while but I can't recommend it highly enough, I havnt paid for food for my collection in years.

Actually my grand-pa owns a farm and my dad and I go out shooting them regularly (great father & daughter bonding activity, eh?). I never knew that I could feed them to my snakes. Well at least now I have something to do with all the bodies and so much cheaper/easier than breeding! :D My boss also shoots rabbits regularly on her property, I'll just take them off her hands aswell :)

Any chance I can get some off you at all? I'm in the Hills also and have a few Lacies to feed ..... I'll PM if that's OK??

No worries, we only hunt in the summer months though...they don't seem to be too active during winter -_-

EDIT: Also depends on how many we can catch and if the foxes don't get to them first :-\

Last edited:
Yep Co2 does the trick or as the breeder I get them off, he sorts out vertibral displasire as an instant dispatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back