Best Rabbit Feeder Species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized I'm going to need another Freezer :facepalm:

Yep Co2 does the trick or as the breeder I get them off, he sorts out vertibral displasire as an instant dispatch.
It is not recommended to carry out cervical dislocation on an animal as big as a rabbit due to the force required to carry it out, I guess if the breeder is well versed in this method and has no problems then there is no problem.

It is not recommended to carry out cervical dislocation on an animal as big as a rabbit due to the force required to carry it out, I guess if the breeder is well versed in this method and has no problems then there is no problem.
Very little force required more of a technic..learnt in my ferret and netting days.. Needed decent supply of food for all my birds of prey.. Farmers appreciated it also

Well the breeder makes it look easy and it is instantanious. Just a flick of the wrist.

Well the breeder makes it look easy and it is instantanious. Just a flick of the wrist.

A mate of mine does it, it's like when you get a heap of bubblewrap and rotate it out until it pops (that kind of action)... I'm sure that there's a certain technique, but that's what I got from looking at it.... Never tried it myself, it's not my thing....

A mate of mine does it, it's like when you get a heap of bubblewrap and rotate it out until it pops (that kind of action)... I'm sure that there's a certain technique, but that's what I got from looking at it.... Never tried it myself, it's not my thing....
The only time that I have seen it done was on you tube and it was done on a rat and he did it by pushing the head away from the body and did not twist at all.

Ive only seen someone do the wringing of the neck action( in person) and the rabbit just went limp... I've seen the youtube clip which was a straight pull, almost like a when someone is hanged.... Never done it myself don't want to either, I'm not good at hands on killing like that... CO2 would be my choice to euthanise food items...

I choose CO2 as well, I tried blunt force trauma once by hitting the rat on a brick wall but I swung it by the tail and the outer skin pulled off before it hit the wall and therefore did not hit the wall square. The rat did not die and I am sure was in a lot of pain with its tail and the hit on the wall, it was laying there kicking its leg so I stamped on its head to put it out of its misery and went back to gas. Not a good experience for the rat or me.

Jeeeeeezzzz!!!! That'd turn you off BFT as an option mate..... I'm a very visual person, and I just had visions of that.....

Yeah not good , I know we are killing them for snake food but I felt really bad.

You probably want a line of rabbits with good mothering ability and large litter size since the offspring will more than likely reach the optimen size at or soon after weaning.We use New Zealand white Flemish giant cross but we selectively breed for desirable traits. The snakes you nominated are likely to want feed items of a kilo or less which for meat rabbits will be about 4-6 weeks old. Small rabbit breeds will obviously only achieve those weights at an alder age and so will require additional grow out cages.

You probably want a line of rabbits with good mothering ability and large litter size since the offspring will more than likely reach the optimen size at or soon after weaning.We use New Zealand white Flemish giant cross but we selectively breed for desirable traits. The snakes you nominated are likely to want feed items of a kilo or less which for meat rabbits will be about 4-6 weeks old. Small rabbit breeds will obviously only achieve those weights at an alder age and so will require additional grow out cages.

Wokka, in terms of quality, would there be any difference in the Rabbits meat which would be served to reptiles as to the Rabbit bred for human consumption at all? Would they be the same type of rabbits ie: NZ whites or flemmish? Would the breeder raise the Human consumption rabbits any differently to the rabbits bred for Reptile feed??? Sorry for hijacking the thread, just curious and Wokka is the only rabbit breeder I've had the opportunity to ask....

I dont profess to be an expert on the rabbit industry but have done a bit of research over the years. The obvious difference is that rabbits for human consumption are used "dressed" with only the meat consumed, whilst reptiles use whole food items-head ,skin and guts included. For human consumption breeders aim at a dressed weight of over 1 kilo which requires a live weight of over 2.2 kilos. Most snakes in Australlia, except a few exotics have trouble consuming over about 1.5 kilo food items so rabbits for reptile are normally used at a younger age than those for human consumption.

i also have to use CO2 i snapped the neck once and didnt enoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back