Handling a Thick-Tail Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 8-9 month old thick-tail he is a Victorian Subspecies dubbed Bruce now I've seen a lot of threads on here that say no unnecessary handling but we handle him for a minute once a week so as not to stress him out but we think he likes handling because he doesn't squirm when we pick him up and he just sits on our hand with no sign of complaint and he reluctantly wants to get off when we put him back in his enclosure are these good signs or are we lucky that we have such a gecko.

Thanks

Its fine to handle aslong as you dont expose Bruce to bright light or risk dropping him. If, however any feeding difficulties start then stop the handling.

I haven't seen feeding difficulties but i'll turn off the lights when handling and I sit on the carpet so he has about 8cm to drop if he climbs off but he never does he just likes sitting on the palm of my hand.

I've noticed some of my geckos are squirmier then others, the velvets absolutely hate my hand going near them while my knobbies are great.

My thickies love to lay on my warm hands during winter. Its cold enough at the moment to not over heat them.

I dont handle very often, maybe fortnightly or after a shed.

Rick

I handle my trio every night before feeding while I clean the poop out, they don't seem to mind it at all, never squirmed or made a noise and I can pat them from head to base of the tail without them getting a fright. They would only be 4-6 months old.

Whoever I pat my female knob tailed she lifts her tail as if she was in the mating position :eek:

e8utejym.jpg

Lol.

I handle mine for 20 minutes a day and had no problems. it depends on the animal and how much you handle them. Mines 2 years old and never barked or bit me since I got him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back