FINALLY !! After 2yrs of waiting.my new pet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkbones

Reaction score
Have been waiting a very long time for my new addition. Away on holiday and get back to a missed call from the pet shop saying some Australian Goliath bird eating tarantula had arrived! the very nxt day off we went to the pet shop. Picked out a nice female as I wanted to get something tht will grow big. Then while looking at the others we spotted some rather long legs in the tube, asked to see it and the guy from the pet shop gently got him out.he was absolutely massive compared to the others and also alot different in colour.both these things twisted my arm so I ended up buying him too Lol. his leg span when stretched out can touch each side of his container 12cm wide. My 1st tarantula ( 3yr old Selenotholus Gold) is probably smaller (in leg span) compared to this new guy. Pet shop said new spiders maybe 12 mnths old.pic is of the new guy.the new female still hides and should outgrow him over time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 560
I'm curious about spiders as pets. Would be cool, but I'm a little afraid of them haha.

Nothing to be afraid of lol unless u were the poor pet shop guy trying to put the tube back in the spiders container.he spun around with his legs up in the air ready to bite lol.told th guy he better be quick,as he dropped it in the spider lunged for his hand, it was very close but he just managed to get his hand outta the way lol. Alot of people think the same about snakes,cool to have but would b afraid,as you know nothing to worry about with a pet snake, same with a spider lol :)

Very cool. Just checking you are aware that once mature, males only live a year or so. Yours is a mature male in the pic.

Im curious, can you handle them?

When/if they bite you, does it make you crook?

And is there such a thing as "de-fanging" them?

wow super cool. I am still super scared of them though haha

Im curious, can you handle them? Yes you can but not advised.

When/if they bite you, does it make you crook? Like most bites it depends on your sensitivity. Any bite can be deadly but most tarantula bites won't be too bad. A decent bite will hurt alot though.

And is there such a thing as "de-fanging" them? No.

Answers in bold. I have been bitten twice. Once nothing, second time hurt.

Last edited:
Thanks! I remember watching shows when i was younger, they had people handling them, but they were larger species and probably not australian

Thanks! I remember watching shows when i was younger, they had people handling them, but they were larger species and probably not australian

Yeah tarantulas are basically split into new world and old world species (without delving into the taxonomy). New world tend to have weak venom and use irritating hairs for defence and are generally slower/calmer/easier to handle. Old worlds species are fast, quick to bite and also usually more venomous. All Australian species are old world.

I see, i'd love to get a pet one but the other half would have nightmares, she can just tolerate the snakes, so i'd be pushing things a bit too far with a spider! Maybe an idea for the man cave to keep her out haha

I see, i'd love to get a pet one but the other half would have nightmares, she can just tolerate the snakes, so i'd be pushing things a bit too far with a spider! Maybe an idea for the man cave to keep her out haha

My partner is absolutely terrified of spiders lol but she manages

Very cool. Just checking you are aware that once mature, males only live a year or so. Yours is a mature male in the pic.

He seems skinny to me ( like no real thickness to his legs),like he hasn't filled out and properly grown yet, correct me if I'm wrong but don't they live up to 10 or maybe 13 years if lucky? To me he doesn't seem to be of tht age where he's getting up to his use by date lol,I'm not an expert ,thts just my opinion.guess ill find out in a year or so

Are you seriously telling me that these monsters live here??? With us??? Omg.......

I'm afraid of spiders but I can definitely appreciate them! I always find myself looking at the american ones on youtube, there are some really nice ones. Didn't know we had anything like this in Aus, pretty cool!

He seems skinny to me ( like no real thickness to his legs),like he hasn't filled out and properly grown yet, correct me if I'm wrong but don't they live up to 10 or maybe 13 years if lucky? To me he doesn't seem to be of tht age where he's getting up to his use by date lol,I'm not an expert ,thts just my opinion.guess ill find out in a year or so

He is skinny because he is a mature male, and mature males are leggy. They basically travel/mate themselves to death and don't eat alot once they mature (though they will still eat some). They generally don't molt again and don't live much longer than a year once they mature, as you will see. It is the females that live a long time (they continue to molt throughout there lives).

Are you seriously telling me that these monsters live here??? With us??? Omg.......

Lol isn't tht the reaction some people have when they find out u have snakes??? I find it funny when someone has a snake and another person says "eww u have snakes". to the person with the snake it's no big deal,the snakes a pet. i knw a couple of snake breeders an they both said to me ewwww yuck,i said to them thats what some people say about ur snakes lol.,but to me it's just another great pet I have

I'm afraid of spiders but I can definitely appreciate them! I always find myself looking at the american ones on youtube, there are some really nice ones. Didn't know we had anything like this in Aus, pretty cool!

There are some really great looking ones outside of Australia. One of my faves is the cobalt blue

He is skinny because he is a mature male, and mature males are leggy. They basically travel/mate themselves to death and don't eat alot once they mature (though they will still eat some). They generally don't molt again and don't live much longer than a year once they mature, as you will see. It is the females that live a long time (they continue to molt throughout there lives).

well I hope for my sake you are wrong lol.i rang the pet shop to again ask the of age of the spiders.they couldnt give me a definite age but said there was nothing they had that was over 3 years of age.is it normal for a male Australian Goliath's abdomen to be less than 1cm wide when looking from above?

Last edited by a moderator:
well I hope for my sake you are wrong lol.i rang the pet shop to again ask the of age of the spiders.they couldnt give me a definite age but said there was nothing they had that was over 3 years of age.is it normal for a male Australian Goliath's abdomen to be less than 1cm wide when looking from above?

Sure can. I used to breed a few Aussie T's. I'm not making this stuff up haha. Also curious how your pet shop would have any clue of age considering they could just as well be wild caught.

Edit: Unless they have finally put a stop to commercial wild collection? Last time I was around T's they hadn't.

Last edited:
Sure can. I used to breed a few Aussie T's. I'm not making this stuff up haha. Also curious how your pet shop would have any clue of age considering they could just as well be wild caught.

Edit: Unless they have finally put a stop to commercial wild collection? Last time I was around T's they hadn't.

As far as I know they can be wild caught still.was just what the pet shop had told me, tht th 1's they hd instore were bred from a breeder. I had my other T just over 3 years now an just after I got him put my name on a waiting list for a Goliath. So it's taken a long time to get them

I'm not really into spiders as pets but I think it's cool for other people, they're really quite pretty. I suppose I just feel threatened by the amount of legs they have. Congratulations on your new addition man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back