snake after death

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathy1986

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
has anyone ever had their beloved reptile pets made into anything after they died i was thinking i would like to get mine stuffed or made into shoes (totally against animal cruelty) since its dead and all (died of old age) why waste a beautiful thing?

ps all my snakes are alive and kicking just thinking in the distant future and wondering if anyone else thinks anything similar

Haha, I love your creativity! I think it would freak me out having anything dead n stuffed in my house lol, when mine do go (touch wood!) I think I will bury them

i think its popular in America as there is that show on tv lately were they stuff pets and other animals.

i think its up to you and a personal choice. i wouldn't, i thought of having my dog stuffed wen she dies but it would kill me looking at her and not have her run up and lick me or cuddle me. plus the fact that i believe every living creature should be burried with all their internall organs so they go to heaven or after life ect. thanks to my strict catholic up bringing, even though apparently animals don't go to heaven as they have no soul, i think they do.

its up to you, if you want to do it then go for it and don't worry what other people say.

I thought it was illegal as you could not prove whether the snake was wild or captive bred.

Edit. This is an extract from DEHP guideline wildlife management in Queensland.
Protected animals remain protected even after they die. If you keep a live protected animal, other than ananimal which has been microchipped or had a biological tissue sample taken and registered, and the animaldies, you must dispose of it in one of the following ways:

• bury or incinerate the carcass of the animal;
  • sell or give the animal to the Queensland museum; or
  • sell or give the animal to the holder of a commercial wildlife licence for the dead animal.
    If you sell or give the protected animal, other than a licence exempt animal, to the holder of a museum licenceor commercial wildlife licence for the dead animal, you must complete a movement advice for the movement5.
    If you have any protected animal that either has a microchip implanted in it or otherwise had a biological tissuesample taken and registered with an approved scientific institution and the animal dies, you must deal with theanimal differently. Namely, you must ensure that the animal is, within 14 days of the animal’s death either:
    1. 1) given to a veterinary surgeon for autopsy and give to the chief executive:
      1. a) a biological tissue sample of the animal;
      2. b) if an electromagnetic implant was implanted into the animal — the implant; and
      3. c) if an electromagnetic implant was implanted into the animal and the veterinary surgeon finds thatthe implant is not working — a written report by the veterinary surgeon stating the reason why theimplant was not working; or
    2. 2) given to the chief executive in a frozen state.
    If you have a licence that allows you to keep the dead animal however, you may continue to keep the deadanimal subject to the laws that usually apply to that particular licence.
    Prohibited animals or international animals also retain their status after they die. You may sell or give away adead prohibited or international animal to a person who holds a licence for the dead animal.

Last edited:
Let us know when you do, although hopefully you won't have to worry about it for a little while yet :)

A bit more information.

Keeping dead protected or international animals
Protected animals remain protected even after they die. If you are intending to keep and use dead protectedanimals for commercial processing or for taxidermy, you will need a commercial wildlife licence for deadprotected wildlife.
If you have a commercial wildlife licence you may keep an animal of a species identified on the licence at thelicensed premises.
A commercial wildlife licence may also be granted for a dead international animal.
Species may be identified on the licence by stating the part of a schedule in which the animal is listed, oralternatively, by identifying the particular species. If your licence says, for example, ‘commercial animals’, youmay keep and use a dead bird of any species that appears under ‘commercial animals’ in part 3 of schedule 3 ofthe Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006. If your licence says, for example, ‘king parrot’and does not list any other species, you may only keep king parrots under the licence.
If your licence states a maximum number of animals of a particular species that you may keep, you must notkeep more than the number specified at any one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back