New member - question about Woma's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

candymc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just joined and hope I'm doing this right. I've got a children's python that has only ever bitten me when we first got him at 2 months old - we have had him nearly 1 year now. It's been a great intro getting him as a hatchling as you grow with him and get to know them. I'm now looking at getting a 7mth old tanami woma. He looks lovely - but was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about them biting. I know all snakes bite! That doesn't particularly worry me or hubby - but do woma's bite and let go - or do they wrap themselves etc. I have 2 little girls age 7 and 8. We really don't mind if they get bitten once in a while - but honestly the thought of the woma wrapping himself and not letting go does worry me!! Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

woma bite and wrap when they're hungry. try asking the breeder for a placid one, keep it well fed and keep your hands away from the rats.

Womas in my experiance will bite anything when it is close to feeding time, the font wrap hard but they don't let go of the bite for a little while. If you don't handle for two days before feeding the chance of getting bitten is very small.

Mine haven't bitten me in over a year.

Thanks for that. If he does bite - any suggestions how to get them off - or I guess most importantly; what not to do when getting them off!

Two things ive read and seen are Running under a tap and Listerine on a cotton bud, id go tap option first.
Dont try and pull him/her off you want them to release.

once womas are used to you and people in general they will rarely get defensive ( in my experience anyway) but as other have said they can be a little foody at times so them thinking your the food isnt uncommon there are still plenty of ways to avoid getting bitten , biggest thing is just to avoid interaction at night ( the only time ive ever been bitten ) and keep them well fed , within reason of coarse you dont want a fat woma this can lead to other problems

but apart from that , womas are the best you will not be disappointed imo little head bobbing , tail wiggling , burrowing worms they are :) ;) still my favourite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back