Where do experienced owners buy snakes? (advice to newbie)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdav70

Hi guys, a newbie to the forum but long time reptile lover. Equipped with a great second-hand viv from a friend, i'm finally looking at getting a snake. I'm immediately drawn to the smaller varieties of pythons and after much research have narrowed it down to a wheatbelt stimsons or a patternless children's python.

My question is: Am I doomed to find something this time of year? I have a friend who made enquiries with one of his breeders with no luck, and have trolled the 'for sale' forums on aussie pythons, reptiles down under, gumtree but also to no avail. Any tips? Am I looking in the wrong places? Or should I resume my search after the new year when there are new hatchlings around?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

There is wheetbelts for sale up my way in Darwin nt and on the for sale forum pattern less childrens

I'm a newbie so can't give specific info but yes, wrong time of year if you want a young hatchie.

Hi bdav,
early this year, I purchased a beautiful little wheaty from panda111, he has some beautiful anterasia.
I've waited about 6 years to move out to get a python, and honestly I think it was well worth the wait to get a beautiful little hatching, and it should just be a few more months till they all start coming out.
So I would suggest its worth to wait just a bit so you have a heap of sellers to choose from,
and in the meantime you can just research more and make sure you are totally prepared for your new little one.

My little girl artie:
:)View attachment 294693

Hi, I think that unless you really know what you are doing with snakes I would not get one from gumtree. I say this for a few reasons, firstly the snake is not always what the person says it is, secondly the snake may be unhealthy and you are getting someone elses problem and generally you probably won't get after sale service that you will get from a breeder. You may get lucky this time of year and find exactly what you want but you are probably better off waiting until the new season of hatchlings so you can look at multiple patterns and colours to really get that snake that is perfect for you.

Thanks Sawowie and Andynic!
I think you have given sound advice, and it makes a lot of sense to hold out until the new season of hatchlings. For now, I guess I will wait for my lisence to come in, and make sure I am fully equipped and knowledgeable for my new hatchie :)

Have u tryed amazing amazon
Not yet, I wasn't sure what the 'wrap' was on the obvious choices ie. retailers or the big snake breeding websites. I guess I was feeling around to see where you experienced people purchase from, what the best avenues to search and find breeders were, do's and don'ts etc, and whether it was worth holding out until next season's hatchlings

best to buy from a breeder so you know the snakes shed/ feeding history and most breeders are happy to help in the future if you need it.

amazing amazon is really good from what i have heard so give them a go, always ask lots of questions if your unsure of anything.

if your after a hatchie more will be available at the end of this year.

Best thing to do is buy from people you know or friends of friends. If you don't know anyone join the local herp society and you will meet plenty of snake keepers. I sell my baby carpets on gumtree. Unless you know the person I'd never buy an adult snake. You don't know why they are selling it and how old it is. Baby snakes you know they are selling cause they need to move a few on.

Hi bdav70, last time I looked (only the other day) snake ranch had some nice looking wheatbelt stimsons for sale.

Why is a snakes shed and feeding record important? I don't think its fair to say you shouldn't buy from Gumtree, I have advertised there in the past and have seen other breeders do so. I think as with everything you should be careful when you're buying the animals, if you go to look at it and its nothing like the pictures, I'm sure you'd say something, or if it was kept in horrible conditions etc. etc. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding what you're after in a few months, I just sold my last wheatbelt last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back