Exploding Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
I thaw my fuzzies in hot water in a plastic bag, and they keep exploding when he constricts. Is it the method I use or just the fuzzies themselves? Don't particularly like putting him back in his enclosure with rat guts on him.

Try using lukewarm water (25 degrees or so) to defrost and into water around 35 degrees for 5-10 min prior to feeding to bring skin temperature up. Too long in hot water can cause the gases in the gastrointestinal tract to expand and give rise to the explosion on constriction.

How long are you defrosting it for? A fuzzie mouse should only need 2-5 minutes in hot tap water, the mouse should be floppy and not feel cold in the middle.

I've been warming my pinky rats in a bag between the folds of a heated wheat bag. Seems to work ;)

I agree with Cagey. The only reason for your rats to 'explode", as you put, is due to gas pressure inside. This is most likely caused by excessive heating but may be the result of the packaging process. The way to find out is to thaw them at room temperature (make take several hours) and then do the normal few minutes in 35[SUP]o[/SUP]C to make it more life like. Internal rat temperature is slightly above that of humans, about 38[SUP]o[/SUP]C, so it should NOT feel warm to the touch. Use a thermometer to make sure you get the water temperature correct. No problems with the slow thawed means you are over heating their innards. Let us know how you go.

Blue

I thaw my fuzzies in hot water in a plastic bag, and they keep exploding when he constricts. Is it the method I use or just the fuzzies themselves? Don't particularly like putting him back in his enclosure with rat guts on him.

I defrost dozens of mice at a time in hot water straight out of the tap and dont have any problems. Sounds more like half rotten rodents, if they have been defrosted and refrozen or not frozen quick enough in the first place this often happens. Back in the days when I bought from pet shops it was a regular occurrence , the pisces brand mice were the worst for it.

I just put my pinkies on a plate on top of a saucer filled with hot water

he loves it :D

I defrost dozens of mice at a time in hot water straight out of the tap and dont have any problems. Sounds more like half rotten rodents, if they have been defrosted and refrozen or not frozen quick enough in the first place this often happens. Back in the days when I bought from pet shops it was a regular occurrence , the pisces brand mice were the worst for it.

This. Infact one of my snakes won't even touch food unless it's very hot, well over 38 degrees. Never had a rat pop except from one of those pisces ones, they're garbage.

When I'm having steak for dinner i take it out of the freezer hours before dinner to let it defrost.......same principal realy, Could take it out of the freezer about 3hrs before feeding and place it on a heat mat let it defrost an heat up.

Last edited:
It seems my rapid heating is the cause then. Thanks for the tips :). I'll slowly defrost it next time and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back