Not well looked after jungle :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeprincess

Reaction score
I have just got a new jungle "snap" she is about 4 1/2 to 5 foot long. When I arrived to the lady's house, I knew I would take her. She had told me she had been having a little trouble shedding...that's a understatement!!
She was covered in shed everywhere she was so rough and looked terrible, she admitted that it was her fault and that she thinks it was a humidity issue as the enclosure was to big. I felt like asking why she hadn't fixed the issue if she knew what was wrong but I didn't she was also feeding her a weaner rat every 3 weeks...way to small a feed.
So I took her home feeling ultra sorry for this very cranky snake and started all the tricks I have heard of, as I have never had a snake have a bad shed. I have bathed her in a tub everyday and I have put her in a damp pillowcase every second day and rubbed her, I have rubbed her with my hands after a bath, I am misting her and keeping her humidity up....I am getting there slowly but it's a slow process. Does anyone have any suggestions to help the process along?? I want to make this snakes life as good as possible as fast as possible!!
BTW she is now on large adult rats and can take them well :)

Glad you took it home...there are a number of threads with suggestions on removing old sheds you can look at. I have also read that having them crawl through a towel after a soak helps rub some off. Good luck! :)

dunk the snake in a tub of water so its totally wet, apply a coat of lucas paw paw ointment, wait 5 mins, and wipe the shed off. (repeat if it doesnt all come off the first time.)

and post pix once you're done!!

dunk the snake in a tub of water so its totally wet, apply a coat of lucas paw paw ointment, wait 5 mins, and wipe the shed off. (repeat if it doesnt all come off the first time.)

and post pix once you're done!!

I have used that stuff on myself , it is excellent. And before anyone asks , no I did not have a bad shed. I didn't realise you could use it for bad sheds.

So glad you took the poor snake; I am sure that she will improve rapidly with all that love and attention :)

Yay I finally removed all her shed today!! The only thing remaining is one eye cap grr I will try carefully to get it off tomorrow, I don't want to over stress her today!! I will post some before and after photos tonight :) she is looking so much better and I am so glad she will be more comfortable!!

Good to hear you got it all off I would have given it a betadine bath to get it off and now you will see a totally different happy python

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yay I finally removed all her shed today!! The only thing remaining is one eye cap grr I will try carefully to get it off tomorrow, I don't want to over stress her today!! I will post some before and after photos tonight :) she is looking so much better and I am so glad she will be more comfortable!!
good to hear , just a note on the retained eye cap it is a subject of a bit of debate but in one of john weigels books "care of australian reptiles in captivity " it says that if the eye caps do not gently remove than they can be left until the next shed as they pose no immediate threat to the snake , obviously you wouldnt want to leave them on shed after shed as that would cause problems and im not saying dont try just something for you to think about if it doesnt come off

Before photo and I had been bathing her for 2 days here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 213
After...looking heaps better I think it will take her one of two good sheds to get her colour back fully as she had so many sheds stuck to her :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 199
Ive got a little spotted im looking at buying at the moment in a similar predicament... I only went around to see this little fella because i was looking at getting one myself, i couldnt help but to ask if they were selling the poor little fella just so i could help provide him with a bit better living condition to what he is already in, such a shame when people don't look after thier animals properly!

Ive got a little spotted im looking at buying at the moment in a similar predicament... I only went around to see this little fella because i was looking at getting one myself, i couldnt help but to ask if they were selling the poor little fella just so i could help provide him with a bit better living condition to what he is already in, such a shame when people don't look after thier animals properly!

If you don't buy him forward the details to me and I will take a road trip and get him!

If you don't buy him forward the details to me and I will take a road trip and get him!
Think ive already comitted myself to him hah, too nice of a snake to let go. He is 3 y.o and only just over a foot long. Very underfed, should be 3ft long or thereabouts i would have guessed. They wondered why he wanted to bite everytime they went near him..

Think ive already comitted myself to him hah, too nice of a snake to let go. He is 3 y.o and only just over a foot long. Very underfed, should be 3ft long or thereabouts i would have guessed. They wondered why he wanted to bite everytime they went near him..

Lol I would want to bite people who treated me poorly also...good luck with him:)

I have just got a new jungle "snap" she is about 4 1/2 to 5 foot long. When I arrived to the lady's house, I knew I would take her. She had told me she had been having a little trouble shedding...that's a understatement!!
She was covered in shed everywhere she was so rough and looked terrible, she admitted that it was her fault and that she thinks it was a humidity issue as the enclosure was to big. I felt like asking why she hadn't fixed the issue if she knew what was wrong but I didn't she was also feeding her a weaner rat every 3 weeks...way to small a feed.
So I took her home feeling ultra sorry for this very cranky snake and started all the tricks I have heard of, as I have never had a snake have a bad shed. I have bathed her in a tub everyday and I have put her in a damp pillowcase every second day and rubbed her, I have rubbed her with my hands after a bath, I am misting her and keeping her humidity up....I am getting there slowly but it's a slow process. Does anyone have any suggestions to help the process along?? I want to make this snakes life as good as possible as fast as possible!!
BTW she is now on large adult rats and can take them well :)

Hi snake princess, good job. The best way to get unshed off a snake is to put it in a tub of water that is about as deep as the snake and put that tub on a heat mat and keep the water temp at around 28- 30 degrees. You can leave a snake like this for hrs, even overnight. After about three hrs you will find that the layers of unshed skin will literally fall off in your hands. You don't need ointments or towels or anything else, just set up a tub at the right temp (use a thermostat if you have to, put the probe under the tub on the heat mat). You can put a stick in if you want so they can rest their head out of the water to breathe, but even that is unneccessary as I find they just turn around and rest their heads on their backs. Job done in a few hrs rather then a few days, less stress, dry them off get them feeding!

Hi snake princess, good job. The best way to get unshed off a snake is to put it in a tub of water that is about as deep as the snake and put that tub on a heat mat and keep the water temp at around 28- 30 degrees. You can leave a snake like this for hrs, even overnight. After about three hrs you will find that the layers of unshed skin will literally fall off in your hands. You don't need ointments or towels or anything else, just set up a tub at the right temp (use a thermostat if you have to, put the probe under the tub on the heat mat). You can put a stick in if you want so they can rest their head out of the water to breathe, but even that is unneccessary as I find they just turn around and rest their heads on their backs. Job done in a few hrs rather then a few days, less stress, dry them off get them feeding!

This is exactly what I did :) I had her in there for about 3 hours she just rested her head on the side of the tub when she wasn't under the water, she seems to like to swim :)

I have always been able to remove retained eye caps carefull with a pair of tweezers.i feel comrortable doing this but dont attempt it if you are not confident. It helps if it is a placid snake as well. With a touchy jungle it may be prudent to have someone else helping you hold her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back