hissing carpet, peed of normal behavior?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakemad3

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all i am just wondering if this is normal or if its a sign of a snake peed off?:x i will be getting my complete care of carpet python book tomorrow so will be glued to that for a fair few weeks lol. :p
He doesn't seem to hiss at me when hes in his enclosure, just when i had him out in the shop a little. :DI know hes healthy as can be as first day i got him i took him to the vets to get him checked out and he said hes i peak condition. Hes about 5 foot max and just under 2.5 kilo. I am just worried if this would of had have a negative effect on him as being handled by a vet? :|he has very impressive teeth lol and relay don't want them sticking in me... i got my squirty bottle of Listerine if he does and don't let go. i have heard this is unharmful to them and if anyone else has to use it or uses something else? i heard some people use vodka.
Also what is the best way to NOT get bittern and best ways to avoid this?:oops: i have a snake hook to hand also (and know about picking up from underneath so as to not think i'm a predator or going to try and eat him lol) and if he did bite would it just be a strike with mouth open/shut and just let go or hang on? as when i was feeding him after he did struck at the top of the feeding tub i popted him in. That unnerved me a little.:shock: then i thought he could still be hungry. i gave him a medium rat but want i to give him a small rabbit now and then along with some chicks as treats. I don't want him to feel threatened or scared enough to feel he has to bit me, i don't want to have to check for broken teeth ect an take him to the vet.. i would if i had to... i would rather just avoid this sito altogether. i heard handling them and carrying out their daily routines is best in day an feeding is at night. as that is what i have been doing since i got him.
I'v had him just under 2 weeks now in quarantine and just been letting him get used to his new home and distress. i have red a few books on cp's but long term keeper knowledge is always second to none and it's good to ask more experienced keepers their views and ideas.:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I failed to mention i have had snakes/Lizards more on than off for prob 12+ years and never feared a bite, quite the opposite and didn't phase me. Its his teeth are a lot bigger that any other snake iv had, although my mam keeps boas, placid puppy's lol, get a bit to big for me though. I guess i feel intimidated by his teeth. I keep telling myself all he can do is bite. and if i were a snake and scared i would prob bite. lol. i try to put myself in there scales lol.
I used to breed garters some years ago. I held him loads in the shop and he was fine. he isn't my first snake but my 1st carpet (an i was thinking at times maybe something smaller, but smaller would get bigger anyway, an i fell in love with him. he was so placid and lovely an active) and i know its not if but when i get bitten. I had started hook training properly like yesterday (also trying to pop him back in his quarantine enclosure after feeding last week).
I was cleaning his quarantine with him in it as he wouldn't come out so i decided to clean around him, till i moved the tube he was in. its like one of the vent tubes that hangs out windows but a bit narrower. he was hissing like mad when i moved him in his tube understandably, hides usually don't get moved with snakes in there... i am thinking maybe a lift of slate hide will prob be a better move. i stupidly put his fresh newspaper in his feeding tub that i stupidly forgot to clean out (there was no squished rat bits anywhere) 1st time for everything, and i'm sure he could smell the rat on it, he started hunting, an i was all if i hold him now ad def get bitten. so i let him be. I will feed him today or tomorrow and change him again on weekend
About the Listerine i have not used it yet as when i heard about it i was thinking it would prob hurt more than the bite being sprayed with Listerine. so just waft the smell towards him.
About hooking him out i did try that but then he was like nope gonna turn round and wedge myself in this tube an he refused to come out. i don't want to stress him. and that's why i am asking about handling techinks as i don't want to hurt or pee him off.
I think once i got bitten i wont be as bad... hopefully. i think its just the initial fear of getting bitten that worries me.
That's good to know that is normal but he relay seems grumpy and doesn't want to be disturbed. i know he is prob stressed so i bought some arkvits ect for him to try and chill him out a bit it seems to have helped but hes just very hissy. and i think when he struck at the lid that worried me a bit. got me thinking if he was still hungry or not. He ate a fat white Medium rat.
whats the most damage that a bite can do? aka, artery's, and nerve damage? an i seem to think if he did a feeding response bite that he may try to eat my hand/arm. i dunno where i have got this from just overactive imagination lol.
he hisses a little when i was holding him in the shop, expelling air but now he hisses and puffs up. i'm hoping hes just tank defensive and not nasty? as i dint know why the change of temperament all of a sudden? stress wouldn't help i know.

I think you have answered your own question - stress. LEAVE HIM ALONE FOR A FEW WEEKS!!! If he is in peak condition, ensure he has the right temps, water and places to hide, and stop messin' with him.

Despite your assurances that you have kept reptiles for 12+ years, your plethora of questions re-iterates that you shouldn't assume you have any idea on how to deal with this snake - treat every individual as a new challenge.

It sounds to me like you should do the following:
1. Ignore everything you have done up to this point - this fella is a different person who sounds terrified.
2. Leave him alone until you have finished your book - don't feed, don't hook, just ensure heat, water and places to hide.
3. Once you have read your book, put yourself in his scales (nice phraseology, there), and take everything slowly.

Do NOT handle until he has several feeds under his belt, and he has met his primary needs...see this link and related articles for a good read on how snakes think and feel.

And please, for the love of Pete, if you are going to do a long post like this, put some paragraph spaces in.....painful to read :rolleyes:.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back