Release Times

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquis

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi just wanted to ask if any members could help me out with this.
When I take my intergrade out of his enclosure, He always wraps himself around my arm and squeezes the heck out of it, that's not the problem.

It's getting the little devil "all 6 feet of him" to actually let go :rolleyes: I have tried the waiting game and after about half an hour, when Pins & Needles have set in and my arm is tired.

I try to untangle us but most times he just tries to put more pressure on the squeeze as if I were his prey,
The thing that gets me is that I have been told that if you rub the underside of the snakes belly or the tip of their tail they normally will move on or release some pressure.

Well my pet never leaves the tip of his tail or underside exposed to be rubbed or uncoiled :evil:
Sometimes he also crosses his own body making himself a living knot.
Is there a tried and tested method that works on unraveling snakes without hurting them.

Regards and thanks to any replies

He's afraid for some reason, try getting him out with a hook and letting him work his way up the handle to you, not giving him an option, meaning don't offer him anywhere else to get off the hook. As far as a quick release a cotton bud dipped in Bundy Rum held directly in front of the nostrils usually does the trick and I've heard mouthwash is good too

Hi and thanks for the replies using the "Hook" is a big no-no for some reason my pet really hates it, and if you use it you will pay the price I have no idea why he dislikes it but from day one he would go ape if tried to pick him up with it.
He used to be a biter but now I may get a nip maybe once a month if that never a full lock bite anymore:).

I can pick him up from his enclosure without a problem,and at times he seems to waiting for it but he just wants to coil himself around my arm as soon as he can and then the fun of unwrapping him begins.:rolleyes:

Hmm ok so he's not afraid of you, he's still afraid tho..how old is he and how long have you had him and good on you for having the patience to out wait his "bite ask questions later" lol :)

On the rare occasion that our 7ft Coastal (Intergrade) has put on the squeeze she is usually made to let go by dipping a cotton bud in some cloudy amonia and hold it in front of her nose, it might take a minute or 2 and it happens only when there is a bunch of people around, it is never a food response and she does not bite but i do not let her squeeze till i get pins and needles. :) ....................................Ron

Hmm ok so he's not afraid of you, he's still afraid tho..how old is he and how long have you had him and good on you for having the patience to out wait his "bite ask questions later" lol :)

I have had him for about 6 months now and was told at the time of purchase that he was 12 moths old , yes in the early stages, my pet was very prone to bite and ask questions later, but as stated above it is very rare these days for him to bite at all .

I was hoping that the squeeze stage would pass, if I do get him off my arm my pet will move around and explore things it's just getting him off to do it :rolleyes:

It's a bit like watching someone playing with chewing gum for the first time,I never take him out if I plan on being somewhere at a certain time because I know I will be late.

I might try the Rum/Amonia trick and see how it goes my main concern was not to make being taken from the enclosure an unpleasant experience for my pet.

Regards and Thanks

Okay so he's a young fella, I would put it down to fear or just a bit insecure of being out of his comfort zone, his enclosure..my oldest was like that too when he was young but eventually got over it, now there are some days he would rather not come out and he will immediately attempt to get into my bra all 8 ft of him, idiot, this is what he used to do as a little man once he was finished squeezing my hand to death :) He's not afraid of anything now, even seems to like the dogs, he just has the occasional Monday lol

I am so tempted to pass a comment on the last post – but propriety forbids.

Strong smelling fluids using the cotton bud technique under the nostrils will get it to release. Ammonia is a respiratory irritant so I would not recommend it. Methylated spirits (metho) is particularly effective as the alcohol is highly volatile and therefore quickly breathed in. Most mouthwashes are alcohol based and work well for the same reason.

I would suggest putting a pillowslip in a plastic bag and give it a very light squirt of perfumed aerosol deodorant, other than what you use. Then when it comes time to remove your snake, put the pillowslip over your arm that you lift it out with. If this works, next time try the pillowslip without the scent.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back