Thermostat help !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tripnotyzm

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for creating yet another topic on thermostats.
Ive been doing my research, but it seems the best way to get a solid answer is to ask you guys directly.

Im currently setting up an enclosure for my Jungle.
The enclosure will Feature a 3.5m heat cord and a ceramic heat bulb.. Both sources will need to be controlled with a thermostat..

Basically, I want to find a stat' that can control the day and night time temps for each of my separate heating sources.
I was looking at the 'Habistat twin channel' thermostat.. This seemed pretty good, except for the fact that it does not control night time temp drops.
I don't want to have to buy add on gadgets just to achieve night time temp drops.
And I don't want to have to use two separate thermostats for one enclosure.

Any ideas, thoughts and advice will be hugely appreciated

Do you need two thermostatically controlled heat sources ? Could you achieve the same gradient using just one ? Instead of using a CHE what about a cheap spot globe on a timer and your heat cord on a day / night thermostat. If you play around with wattages or use an inline dimmer you should get a reasonably stable basking spot, with the heat cord used for night time and supplementary heat. Just a few ideas to consider.

Joe

I prefer one heat source per enclosure. and mainly use a ceramic heater controlled by a thermostat. microclimate B2ME with magic eye has function for night time drops, and some of the habistat range have a socket that you can plug a habistat night eye into that does a similar night drop function. there's probably other thermostats that do the same but I prefer these two brands.

I also have a normal fluro twisty globe in there for light during the day thats controlled by a timer to come on and go off at programmed times which activates the B2ME magic eye to either drop temps slightly at night or raise them slightly during the day. and if you test everything using some decent thermometers you can tweak the thermostat control to the accurate temp level you are trying to achieve.

If the enclosure is say 900-1200 long x 600 wide x 600 deep with the heat source at one side it creates a thermal gradient that works fine. personally I don't like those huge tall enclosures and keep jungles in those sizes described above that are longer rather than higher. both the globe and ceramic heater are enclosed in a light cage to avoid burns.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back