Microclimate Thermostat Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitzmixer

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a Microclimate Thermostat B1, I picked it up second hand a few days ago. It worked for 2 days and then all of a sudden the temperature dropped in my enclosure. So I double checked the thermostat and sure enough there wasn't any power going to the heat panel. I have a the power light but no heating light on the device. I've plugged a light globe to test to see if its working, but it just doesn't power anything.

Any ideas on what I can do? I've changed the fuse already and turned the temp dial up to max (35)

The usual problem with these is the power turns on to the heating device but will not dim or turn off which is an easy fix because the sensing circuitry is still working but this sounds different. I would suggest finding a electronics hobbyist to have a look and try and fix it. Not sure how they will go with this one though.

I tried taking it into JayCar but they couldn't fix it either... Think it might be worth cutting my losses and getting a new one. It was a risk, so serves me right I guess..

I tried taking it into JayCar but they couldn't fix it either... Think it might be worth cutting my losses and getting a new one. It was a risk, so serves me right I guess..

I would not throw it out just in case you come across an electronics wizz that is happy to have a look and it may be something simple but if it is an intergrated circuit you may be out of luck.

hm.. well I'll still need to buy another one to replace it anyway. Cant run the proherp panel without a thermostat.. well I could but i'd be freaking out all day its going to get to hot in there..

Couldn't or wouldn't? They are fairly basic and anyone with a but if electronics knowledge would be able to point out where the problem is likely to be even if they can't fix it. I agree it's probably still salvageable so wouldn't chuck it out but that's obviously your call

Alright so I just had another thermostat stop working last night. Microclimate B2, the power light just flashes now.. This one was working flawlessly until I moved it to replace the previous one that died. All that's hooked up to it is a 23w heat cord and a 14w heat matt..

Now im 2 thermostats down..

Not happy at all!!

Alright so I just had another thermostat stop working last night. Microclimate B2, the power light just flashes now.. This one was working flawlessly until I moved it to replace the previous one that died. All that's hooked up to it is a 23w heat cord and a 14w heat matt..

Not happy at all!!

Is there a certain minimum power limit for the thermostat to work ?

Not happy at all!!
What B2 is it as there are variables

Is there a certain minimum power limit for the thermostat to work ?
5W .....so that counts that out.... Try it back on where you got it from just to make sure it's failing to work

I would but I got it from a shop in queensland :(
NO lol... What it was hooked up to before u swaped it over .... And also just try connecting cord.... Then mat individually to make sure it's the thermostat and not one of the others

It was hooked up to a 14w heat matt and a 25w heat cord, I've tried connecting a globe up to it just to see if any powers going through them both and I get nothing.

Do you have solar at your house? I work for Energex and we see a lot of high voltage problems and electronics are very susceptible to high voltages.

Last edited:
Do you have solar at your house? I work for Energex and we see a lot of high voltage problems and electronics are very susceptible to high voltages.

Nope, no solar. Its really quite strange, the heat cord is brand new from a local pet shop and the heat mat I've used before plenty of times without a problem. I've found someone to repair them in SA called iPetz, formally URS Wholesale (thanks to Amazing Amazon for the contact). Its $25 each to get them fixed plus postage which isn't to bad.

I'll send them off and then make a trip to a pet shop and grab another thermostat.

That is good value because the parts may only cost a couple of dollars but it will probably take at least half an hour to fault find and replace the part. It may also be your neighbours solar or solar a few houses away. If you keep having problems I would get an electrician in to check things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back