Looking for reptile stories! :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuppysMum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Jodie. I have just found this forum.

Hubby do not own reptiles but we do love animals and we have two beautiful furbabies - Sydney the Blue Heeler (9) and Boston the Border Collie (about to turn 3).

Hubby is American (I'm Aussie) and we lived in the USA for about 8 years which is where Sydney was born. We moved back to Oz in 2006 - so Sydney is an Aussie dog with an American bark, hehe.

Anyway, I am also working on a pet book and thought this would be a great place to post the info. about it seeking submissions. I hope this is ok? I looked around for a moderator email to ask permission to do this first but am not having much luck finding one??? So, again, I hope this is ok? If there is a more appropriate spot for this please let me know.

Pet lovers, please keep reading if you might be interested in sharing some pet stories (I hope you are! :)).

LOOKING FOR REPTILE STORIES! :)

My name is Jodie O’Brien. I am a journalist and an animal lover who is looking for submissions for a book I am working on about beloved pets or even just any unique stories about animals. I am looking for stories about dogs, cats, horses, cows, goats, ferrets, rats, birds, rabbits, even reptiles or any other type of pet you or anyone you know might have! :)

It will be a compilation book about pets and I will be editing.

If you have a favourite story you would like to share, please write something up and email it to me with your name (and a publishable photo of the animal, if possible). It doesn't have to be long - it can be as short or long as you like. It doesn't even have to be just one story - you can submit as many as you like, or combine them all into one. :)

I do not personally know any reptile owners/lovers and therefore do not know much about them but I imagine that even reptiles have their own personalities and anecdotes to go with them? :)

The stories can be funny, sad, heart-warming or anything – i.e. if it’s a story/anecdote you thought was worth telling someone about when it happened, etc. then it’s worth jotting down.
The animals don’t have to be your current ones – they can be long deceased pets you have fond memories of, pets from childhood, etc.

For example. I have a story about a cat that was stolen that returned to its owners 1 year and 3 days later, and slept in the dog’s kennel for the next week straight.
Another one – an elderly/ill dog that didn’t seem to want to pass away until its very pregnant owner had her baby.
A dog that survived a venomous snake bite, etc.
Funny characteristics, faithful companions that got you through phases in your life
Birds and cats being best mates? Birds that say funny things?
Pets and kids? Perhaps it's about the loss of a beloved pet?
Or those who have moved their pets overseas and their experiences with that?
Experiences with wildlife?
What it's like to live with an 'odd' or non-traditional pet.
Again, ANYTHING you feel or you have told someone, etc.

IF successfully published; your name will appear as the author of that particular chapter about your animal and you'll have a book keepsake! :)

Please let me know if you are interested in participating on this project ASAP. Also, PLEASE feel free to pass this on to any friends who you think might be interested. :)

My email address is:
[email protected]

I look forward to reading your pet stories! :)
Thanks heaps. :)

Jodie O’Brien
Brisbane, QLD.

sounds great i only have one story but it's about my guinea pigs dying...............am happy to share but it's not really interesting OH i do have a story from my teacher about a dog and an elderly lady it's quite funny but gross at the same time. :)

Hi Jodie!

Well, umm, heres a story.
~~~BEAR~~

Bear is a maltese x poodle mix. One morning, we were about to go to the movies to see Nancy Drew, I called him , but he didnt come, so I thought he must just be out back or something, well after we saw the movie, came home and he wasnt there, we went calling him and asked some construction workers, they said he was playing around near them for a few hours, then he was last seen following a man on a bike on a track that lead past the city and all, so we looked everywhere etc, and then when all hope was lost, we rang the RSPCA and they had him, apparently he was dodging loads of cars on the highway, and some woman stopped and picked him up and took him to the rspca!!

Hi I Love Animals and Rainbow Serpent! Thank you for your interest and proposed stories - I love animals those stories sound great - could you please email them (all if you like) to me? (It will be my first guinea pig story too), Thanks!

Rainbow, I am so glad you found your dog! Glad he didn't get hit. :( :)

well the guinea pigs i got off a close friend they were called lilo and stitch (original eh) and we had had then for ai think around 1-2 years and in the morning mum had gone outside and said kids don't come outside and me being me went outside saw the cage torn apart MY guinea pig lilo GONE and my brothers lying belly up on the grass which died from shock :'( :'( :'( :(

other story will post up soon FROGGIESrCUTEo_0 should know it too

the other one (just a brief for now) is about a dog can't remember what breed but this elderly lady had found the dog dead and as she was 'frail' couldn't move it very far soon people had reported a smell and then this teachers husband who is an animal rescuer dude (i think) came and the dog had been there so long as i said before the elderly lady couldn't lift it it had gone all hard like a shell but the insides you could hear were all mushy and gooey, and there was maggots in the eyes and all. there was also stains all on the floor in this ladys house. When her husband (can't remember his name) took it back to the shelter/vet thingo he went to put it in the freezer BUT it wouldn't fit because its legs were stiff straight and it was a pretty tall dog too. I can't remember if they ended up chopping it or not but yer theres the main idea.

sorry it's pretty rank but it's a story :D....................something like that nugget do you know the BETTER details or did i mainly get it right ROFL

the other one (just a brief for now) is about a dog can't remember what breed but this elderly lady had found the dog dead and as she was 'frail' couldn't move it very far soon people had reported a smell and then this teachers husband who is an animal rescuer dude (i think) came and the dog had been there so long as i said before the elderly lady couldn't lift it it had gone all hard like a shell but the insides you could hear were all mushy and gooey, and there was maggots in the eyes and all. there was also stains all on the floor in this ladys house. When her husband (can't remember his name) took it back to the shelter/vet thingo he went to put it in the freezer BUT it wouldn't fit because its legs were stiff straight and it was a pretty tall dog too. I can't remember if they ended up chopping it or not but yer theres the main idea.

sorry it's pretty rank but it's a story :D....................something like that nugget do you know the BETTER details or did i mainly get it right ROFL

Pretty much sums it up, it was a German Shepard

last chance

sorry I meant to post this sooner but I had a few problems with my computer then forgot it till now...

I received the email below from Jodie O'Brien on 16 June 2009.

There is still time to quickly get any stories you may want to see published one day to her.

I sent her a couple of stories (thankfully, she edits them) and after reading a lot of threads on APS I know that there are a lot of you that have interesting tales to tell.

Hello again! I am sending this as a mass email to all of you who have been so generous in
contributing some pet stories for my book project (and as a reminder to a couple of you who said you would send me one but who have not yet done so ;)).

I am still waiting on a few contributions to come in, otherwise I hope to finally start the editing process soon (in the next few weeks, all going well) and to then approach publishers. Fingers crossed! :)

In the meantime, I thought it would make the book better if we had a section with "About the authors". That is, a little bit about yourselves to go along with your story/stories of your animal/s.

So that said - sorry to ask for more - but, could you please all write up something about yourself? It doesn't have to be much. Something like this, for example:

"Joe Blow is a stay at home mum with three kids who lives in Sydney. We have two pets, a dog, fish etc. etc. "
OR

"Ann Smith works as a manager at a PR firm in Melbourne and spends her days working, walking her dogs or trying to work out how she ended up with 6 animals and trying to stay sane." etc. etc.

You can put as much or as little information as you like - but please try for at least a few sentences if possible.
It can be serious or funny - you can include names of spouses, kids, animals or leave them out. It would be great if you could at least put where you are from, etc.

Any questions, as always, feel free to ask!

Thanks heaps once again everyone! I am excited to start approaching publishers ASAP so hopefully I can find a way to do so soon!

Jodie O'Brien :)

Hi I Love Animals and Rainbow Serpent! Thank you for your interest and proposed stories - I love animals those stories sound great - could you please email them (all if you like) to me? (It will be my first guinea pig story too), Thanks!

Rainbow, I am so glad you found your dog! Glad he didn't get hit. :( :)
Hi, Only just re-discovered this thread, Sure, I'll give you an email:)

I'm glad I found him too, he's my best friend in the world, I don't know what I would have done if he'd gotten hit.

Looking for reptile (and other) stories for a book :)

November 2013

LOOKING FOR PET STORIES! :)

Hello, my name is Jodie. I posted on here a few years ago (that flew by!) now about the pet book I was working on. Unfortunately due to technical difficulties and then life in general, the book was delayed. I have finally gotten back on track and tried to bump up my post on here from back then but I see the thread is now closed.
(Here it is, just for the record: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/introductions-56/looking-reptile-stories-109961/ ). (oops the link doesn't appear to show up here?).

First, of all, I hope it is ok to post this new one please? Second of all, deepest apologies to all who previously submitted stories about their pets and who haven’t heard back from me in a very long time.
(Also sorry if this is in the wrong section on the forum).

The good news is I’m finally working on getting it finished AND I have at least two publishers interested in having a look at it (EEK!). No promises from them but the fact they are even interested at having a look is very exciting.

Please read on for more information and thank you for your time:

My name is Jodie O’Brien. I am a journalist and an animal lover who is looking for submissions for a book I am working on about beloved pets or even just any unique stories about animals. I am looking for stories about dogs, cats, horses, cows, goats, ferrets, rats, birds, rabbits, even reptiles or any other type of pet you or anyone you know might have!
I may have been in touch with some of you a few years ago when I first started this project. However, due to a number of issues out of my control, it was placed on hold. The project is finally back in the works, so if you are still interested, please keep reading!
It will be a compilation book about pets and I will be editing.
If you have a favourite story you would like to share, please write something up and email it to me with your name (and a publishable photo of the animal, if possible). It doesn't have to be long - it can be as short or long as you like. It doesn't even have to be just one story - you can submit as many as you like, or combine them all into one. :)

The stories can be funny, sad, heartwarming – anything! i.e. if it’s a story/anecdote you thought was worth telling someone about when it happened, or later at the dog park, etc. then it’s worth jotting down.
The animals don’t have to be your current ones – they can be long deceased pets you have fond memories of, pets from childhood and so on.

For example: I have a story about a cat that was stolen that returned to its owners 1 year and 3 days later, and slept in the dog’s kennel for the next week straight;
Another one – an elderly/ill dog that didn’t seem to want to pass away until its very pregnant owner had her baby;
A dog that survived a venomous snake bite;
Funny characteristics, faithful companions that got you through phases in your life
Birds and cats being best mates? Birds that say funny things?
Pets and kids? Perhaps it's about the loss of a beloved pet?
Or those who have moved their pets overseas and their experiences with that?
Experiences with wildlife?
What it's like to live with an 'odd' or non-traditional pet.
Again, ANYTHING you feel or you have told someone, etc.

IF successfully published; your name will appear as the author of that particular chapter about your animal and we will all have a book keepsake. (We will all most likely have to purchase a copy ourselves, but you never know). Please include your name, town/country and age at the end of the email.

There is no payment available for your submissions or through any potential revenue raised from the sale of the book.
By submitting a story or stories (in any form, including by but not limited to electronically over email, Facebook or the Internet in any other way) you agree that this is your electronic signature in place of an actual written signature and you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please let me know if you are interested in participating on this project ASAP. Also, PLEASE feel free to pass this on to any friends who you think might also be interested in contributing.

The deadline for submissions is November 30, 2013.

My email address is: [email protected]
Please write PET STORY in the subject line.
I look forward to reading your pet stories!

Thank you.
Jodie J
Brisbane, QLD

Last edited:
you have stories about dogs surviving venomous snake bite ,what about venomous snakes surviving dog bite?

Snake stories...are rife at the moment
Snakes invade Gold Coast Theme Parks....it's all over the TV news
The most important part that was not mentioned was that the snake was a harmless keelback.....(naughty bad snakes keep the tourists away.)
Nuther big story was a child was bitten while sitting in the family car.....rushed off to hospital.....no venom .... snake musta been harmless.....LOL
This TV reporting puts the fear of beegeezus in most human beings and snakes are hated all the more.

haha Yeah I wondered about that (irony) but also figured you never know haha - some of the submissions I have already received are quite amazing! :)

And thank you to the moderator for adding my new post to my old thread :)

My beardie was lost in the wild for a month!

at the time we had pest control in our complex and my beardie escaped his enclosure on the deck and climbed down of the second stories balcony and ran into the pool area! (was sandstone floor around the pool so I was basking there) and the pest control people took him and set him free in the national park my dad was out there for a week looking for him when a lady found him and put a washing basket over him to keep him there! The only reason my dad knew it was him was because he had part of his tail docked from gangrene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back