Not looking good for Samson

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakewoman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My coastal that I've had for almost 3 1/2 years has a benign tongue lump that keeps growing back. He's had it removed twice and now it's back again. I've had threads about him and this problem and previous health issues before:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/great-recovery-coastal-162231/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/poor-baby-167954/

The last time he had this lump removed the vet said that if it continues to grow they'll have to amputate his tongue. This lump doesn't stop him from eating but it can't be nice. He always eats when offered food but his feeding response isn't very strong, he never strikes. I worry that he may not eat again if his tongue is taken and it's hard to know what to do with him. This would be the 3rd surgery he's had in 2 years.

it's impossible to measure how much stress it causes him each time this happens and I'd hate for him to come through an operation like this only to stop feeding and have to be put down. It's hard to know what the kindest thing to do is here.

A pic of the lump when it was cut off last time, and a pic of his mouth before surgery. Not sure what the bubbles around his teeth were, but when the vet touched them while putting him under they burst and went down. They didn't come back.

Attachments

• Lump.jpg
    Lump.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Samson mouth.jpg
    Samson mouth.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 124
I'm really sorry to hear that Tahlia. I don't know if it's my imagination but i thought i had read a thread on here once about a python who had had its tongue removed and was still able to continue feeding?

the tongue is not the only sense available to the snake, it may make it more difficult for it and sure in the wild it might very well be a death sentence, but being in a home basically hand fed he should be ok, but yes it really does come down to how you feel about it as well, its a difficult position to be in.

I was talking to a breeder a while back when I picked up my Bredli and he mentioned that maybe once in a blue moon a breeder will snap lid down in the click-clack and chop the baby snakes tongue off as they flick their tongue out just as the lid is closing. Although missing their tongue or tongue tip they still eat fine and grow to be healthy adults...I don't know how it affects them as I haven't experienced it before, every snake is different. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

It is a difficult spot to be in, I wish you best in your choice xx

I want to give him a shot at least, he's been through a lot and it would really suck if he had to be put down just because of this. Hopefully he'll feed without a tongue.

He may feed without a tongue, but smell is so important to snakes. It's a really tough call & there's no right answer. Personally I'd euthenase him, but I understand why you'd want to try another bout of surgery.

Hope the whole thing isn't too distressing. Good luck. If he does lose his tongue please send an update on his progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back