Where do you feed your snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PappaSmurf

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
I know there are probably a dozen threads on this already but i'm lazy & curious as to how & where people feed their snakes.

So where do you feed them?
In their enclosure?
In a feeding tub?
On the dining table?
Anywhere else?

I feed mine in their enclosure. Always have and always will I think.

All in their enclosures except for pairs and elapids in tubs

I feed both the boys in their own click clacks at night when they are both out and about. Id like to think that they will know the difference between opening up the cc at night means feed and opening up in the day means handling and cleaning tubs.

Why do you feed your elapids in tubs instead of their enclosure?

Mainly for the substrate so they don't eat it (my tiger will try and eat himself if he smells like rat), and although I believe that feeding in enclosures has no effect on a python thinking it's food time every time the tank is opened (maybe with the exception of scrubs), elapids are much more switched on in my experience and far less forgiving.

On the flip side, getting elapids out and into feeding tubs when they can smell food is also bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In their enclosures. Always.

Never ever had a single issue. Infact I've only ever found trying to feed elsewhere nothing but stressful for my shyer snakes who need to be undisturbed in their hide to strike food.

I feed my two bredlis in tub's, only because they were very snappy when I first got them and didn't want to encourage it.
My maccie gets fed in his enclosure in one of those hollow rock hides. I know when hes hungry because he crawls into it and sticks his head out watching me.
My bhp hatchling is fed the same way, I leave the quail on top of the hide and he eats it a few minutes later.

My two big atherton jungles, the big one eats in his tub sometime but other time will only eat in the enclosure. The smaller one refuses to eat in a tub or strike, only eats when I leave the quail beside her for a bit and ever then doesn't eat very often.

Im back to feeding them draped over dining chairs.
After reading so often that snakes DONT become cage defensive if fed in their enclosures i tried it, within 3 feeds i couldnt open any enclosures without being struck at,....

Mostly in the enclosure. The only exception is if I feed them on a cleaning day then each one gets fed in a tub while I clean their enclosures.

To be honest I don't think it really matters. My womas will eat anywhere and can smell rat from a mile away. The food frenzy is even more extreme when they smell quail. :)

I use my hands to put the food item in the enclosure except one who I use tongs for.

The 1's outside get tubbed for feeding or else it gets a bit hairy. This day was chicken feet & sardine feeding day.
PC010001_zps3285eb7c.jpg

PC010035_zps715c1f7d.jpg

PC010017_zps93356504.jpg

PC150075_zpsa4afbe67.jpg

Those in tubs get fed in them
PC070060_zps8529981e.jpg

P1071022_zps04b9233e.jpg

P1071124_zps80415e67.jpg

PC070056_zps07747474.jpg

The 1's outside get tubbed for feeding or else it gets a bit hairy. This day was chicken feet & sardine feeding day.

Do you have a problem with your snakes having smelly breath when they eat sardines. Lol

after good read on this topic a few weeks ago myself, i came to the conclusion that feeding in the enclosure was the way to go in my case

By the way, awesome feed photos of the elapids taking sardines and chicken feet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say, the only people that feed outside of their enclosures are the ones that want to clean the enclosures in the meantime, because the substrate is not easily digestible, or they really just don't know any better and honestly thinks it helps with "cage defensiveness".

Mine are 100% in their enclosures except for the few that share their tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back