Escaped Stimmie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam78s

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My worst nightmare, my 12mo Stimson's Python got out last night. He's only tiny, and when hubby or someone put him back after a handle they didn't close the lid properly and he's slithered out last night. I was doing their checks about half an hour ago, and have been looking for him since.

Is he gone forever? I've looked under the fridge, everywhere!! Can I leave a note and a mouse out and hope he reads it and forgives me for whatever I've done to offend him and make him escape?

I am so upset, and angry that he wasn't put away properly. I'll just have to check on them every night before I go to bed.

Often they don't get too far the first night. It means pulling every book off shelves looking under and behind everything.
Think like a snake and look in the tightest squeeze places. I've found a friends escapee in the pocket of a laptop bag before squeezed in between cables.
Good luck. Just be very thorough.
Also had a friend find a hatchie 11 months later. Must have sat winter out and it turned up in her garage (attached to the house) hadn't grown so most likely never ate anything.

Firstly don't panic.
I've lost and found 2 snakes in my time and neither by tearing the house apart. There are SOOOOO many places they can hide
He probably hasn't gone far and will be in the house somewhere.
I found one in my shoe as I put my foot in it about 4 weeks later and the other by looking round at night when they are active. He was just sliding across the lounge room floor searching for food

Thank you, you've made me feel a little better (although I am still VERY annoyed). He was in the kitchen, so there are only about a million places he could hide. :/

Thank you, you've made me feel a little better (although I am still VERY annoyed). He was in the kitchen, so there are only about a million places he could hide. :/
Personally I'd find it rather than waiting for it to turn up.

Oh, I'll be looking. I've pulled everything apart (my house was a tip, just between you and me). I'm trying to think like a snake... I'll also go house-herping tonight with a torch.

- - - Updated - - -

I just went through the recycle bin, thinking that he may have fallen off the bench into there, and then hubby would have tipped him into the big bin. It was disgusting. No Mr Mister though.

Yeah i'm sure the odd escapee has happened to just about every keeper on this forum.

Sam just be methodical and thorough. Anywhere warm, anywhere safe dark and quiet. Some examples where I have located escapees (mine and others) over the years include; under the fridge, under the freezer, wrapped around power-point double adapters/timers, in-between and under other reptile enclosures, in bags, inside a record folder and my favourite - inside a computer printer!

They realy dont go far but are always in the most rediculous spots you would not imagine, did you fully check his enclosure and near his heat source, they squish into the smallest of places when that little, mine did this to me twice at that age and once she was behind his backgroung and other was under he tank under heat mat. Even now when she is let out she wont go further than 12feet from enclosure and she is now 3.

Last edited:
I hope you find him but if you don't you should leave a small bowl of water near his enclosure or on the floor close to it and fill it up with fresh water daily, I've seen someone on here say they lost a snake for a week and it was dehydrated when they found it so if he is hanging around he wont go thirsy and possibly leave the area to search for water.

I lost one of my hatchies about 2-3 weeks after they hatched for about 5 days some how it made it past the dogs past my parents (who would of shot me) down the stairs and past 500 things to hide in around the corner and I found it next to its mums enclosure slowly making its way up a power cord and my parents dident even no one was missing
well that's my story...

Mine have escaped a few times. They've been in the same room every time.
In my sock drawer, in a box of bed sheets, under a speaker.
Don't forget to look in places where you think "there's no way it can get in there"

I'm petrified it's in the mechanics of the fridge or something.

- - - Updated - - -

No luck yet and now I'm really, really livid. My sons spotted escaped his new tank last night. We were soooooo careful, even stuffed paper towel into the tiny gap between the sliding doors. It was a little 30cm cube, and he wasn't in it this morning.

I am am more than a little annoyed. And worried. And sad.

*****UPDATE*****

Sad and happy news. Mr Mister, the Stimmie, was found by hubby out by the driveway. Sadly, he'd died. He was so gorgeous, I'm really going to miss him.

Happy news, after telling the kids about Mr Mister and then coming home late tonight, my son was walking past his Spotted's enclosure, the one he escaped from, and his snake was in there! He'd suddenly reappeared after a week, and is partway through a shed. His tank is about a metre off the ground in some shelves, so we have no idea how he got back in, or where he was. My son is so thrilled, he's been sobbing since he saw him.

Aww I'm sorry to hear that :( What I do when locking up a cage or closing a door, or anything really. Is to do something unusual when locking up. So tap out a beat on the cage. Or, spin around in a circle or something. It really really helps you remember if you locked or closed a door.

- - - Updated - - -

It has to be random each time or it wont work xD

So how could your spotted have escaped?
Or got back in?

You probably will be surprised just how small of gaps pythons can squeeze thru. I made some enclosures with heating dividers in them and had 1 meter + antaresia squeeze thru the 8 mm gap at the door from the cool to the hot end. to fix the problem I folded up news paper and stuck it in the gap held in place by the glass track. Funny thing is the paper was only going to be temporary, Till I made something more permanent. As the snakes would have been able to push the paper out if they tried to. But it must of put them of some how and the never did, And I have been using newspaper to block the gaps for about 7 years now.

We think he got out through the cable hole, either the cover wasn't in properly or he got out a hole. The door gap was plugged.

As for getting back in, the kids had been moving furniture around in the enclosure, and the sliding door was open. It was in an ikea Expedit shelf, so open back. We went through the whole thing, I have no idea where he was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back