When do you start feeding baby snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Huhuu, we've got hatchlings! 6 baby Bredli pythons have hatched today and look good and healthy. They are already up to 48 cm long!
Question 1: When shall I attempt to feed them first time? I have frozen mouse pinkies ready.
Question 2: Is it indeed necessary to separate them? Why?

Give them a try after first shed. Some will eat before hand, but they absorb yolk before they come out of the egg. They are big enough to try on pink rats or fuzzy mice for first feed

Huhuu, we've got hatchlings! 6 baby Bredli pythons have hatched today and look good and healthy. They are already up to 48 cm long!
Question 1: When shall I attempt to feed them first time? I have frozen mouse pinkies ready.
Question 2: Is it indeed necessary to separate them? Why?

Separate them because they are constrictors
After feeding their body will stink of pinky
So other babies will think they are food

I seperate, weigh & number mine as soon as they hatch so I can keep records of each one

Separate them.
Pinkies are way too small for carpet babies,get hold of something bigger,try feeding after they have their first shed.

Did the one in the egg you turned end up hatching?

Last edited:
As Rams says, you should start with large fuzzies or small weaners for good sized baby carpets, you'll get a far better response from them first time round.

Jamie

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will follow it. The babies are doing fine, we already can recognise different natures in terms of activity and friendliness - one did even strike at me (!) while other ones are active and inquisitive :) and again others are rather sleepy... It is an exciting experience for the whole family! I think the fast-food-take-away tubs are too small for them, I'll go shopping today for bigger containers.

Separate them.
Pinkies are way too small for carpet babies,get hold of something bigger,try feeding after they have their first shed.

Did the one in the egg you turned end up hatching?

The baby snake in the egg from which all its liquid components ran out, sadly died; already a couple of hours after I posted my call for help I could not see any more movements and 2 days later it began to stink. I guess I couldn't do much about it. I might have damaged its shell when I removed the rotten neighbour egg, and as the embryo grew the pressure from inside got stronger and the shell burst. And by turning it around, I might have "drowned" the baby or damaged it otherwise. So, in future, I will keep rotten eggs in the clutch. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. :(

I use Sistema 7 litre containers. These will suit for the first year and seal very tightly. A soldering iron is useful for making ventilation holes. Start feeding fuzzy mice after the first shed. There is no rush. Some may have a delayed shed, but you can offer food before then.

Separate them because they are constrictors. Other babies will consider they are meals

You need to seperate so you can track which are great feeders, which are good feeders, and which are problem feeders. All helps in determining which animal needs a helping hand. How can you keep records without seperating? If your going to offload any, records need to be shown.........by any descent keeper. Seperate so you can monitor each individual. I give a week after hatching before I try and feed. Some take, some dont!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back