high body temp - python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenyseT

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did lots of research before I acquired my first python just 2 1/2 weeks ago but I have another question I can't seem to find anything on.

His body temp is up at around 38c even though the click clack temp is sitting pretty well within what I was told were appropriate temps. Heat mat theromostat is set at 34 with ambient at the warm end around 31 and a cool end of about 24 (drops during the night).
I've followed instructions and left him alone except for changing water. He fed enthusiastically 7 days after he arrived and again another 6 days later. After the second feed, he found a spot under the paper towel on the warm end and he hasn't seemed to move from there since (maybe he comes out at night but he's not coming out on dusk like he had been) All normal, I'm thinking, he's just digesting.

My concern is his body temp. I have been using a temp gun to double check temps and when I aimed it at him it has pretty consistently been giving me readings in the high 30s, even once or twice registering 40. He is very quiet but he doesn't seem to want to move to the cooler end which I thought he would if he was too hot.

So long story sorry but just want opinions on whether I have something to worry about or whether this is completely normal after a feed. I didn't take his body temp after the last feed so have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

He's still digesting I gather? In that case, he's fine. Snakes want to hide and soak up as much heat as possible when digesting. He may even be feeling the cold a little if your ambient temperature is taking a dip (I'm sure it is in NSW!). Nothing much you can do about that, it's just that time of year =)

He's still digesting I gather? In that case, he's fine. Snakes want to hide and soak up as much heat as possible when digesting. He may even be feeling the cold a little if your ambient temperature is taking a dip (I'm sure it is in NSW!). Nothing much you can do about that, it's just that time of year =)​

Yep NSW :) Nights are getting cold but I'm trying to manage it by covering the click clack with a towel at night which seems to be helping. No problems with the warm end though, it seems pretty stable.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was pretty sure that was what was happening but I have grown quite attached to the little fella and just wanted it confirmed so if there was something wrong I could get straight onto it.

Thanks again :)

What is the surface temperature of the enclosure where it sits on the heat mat? That is most likely where he is getting the extra heat from therefore giving him a higher body surface temp. As long as the gradients are good and you give him an oppurtunity to seek cooler areas, which you have done, there is no real issue.

Also, make sure that the temperature gun isn't reading the surrounding surface temperature when you aim it at him. The area the temp gun measures varies depending on the distance you hold the temperature gun away.

also some temp guns read differently depending on the surface and colours they are pointed at. I Had one when I was racing RC cars that was 5 degrees out at 90 degrees on purple alloy but read perfectly on gold alloy

What is the surface temperature of the enclosure where it sits on the heat mat? That is most likely where he is getting the extra heat from therefore giving him a higher body surface temp. As long as the gradients are good and you give him an oppurtunity to seek cooler areas, which you have done, there is no real issue.

Also, make sure that the temperature gun isn't reading the surrounding surface temperature when you aim it at him. The area the temp gun measures varies depending on the distance you hold the temperature gun away.

Surface temp on the hot end is around 34 in the warmest sections but it's a little cooler around the edges of the heat mat. I was having trouble getting the ambient temp up above about 28 when I had the thermostat set on 31 so was advised to up the thermostat to 34.
Thanks for the tip on the temp gun, I'll reread the instructions to see what distance I should be measuring from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also some temp guns read differently depending on the surface and colours they are pointed at. I Had one when I was racing RC cars that was 5 degrees out at 90 degrees on purple alloy but read perfectly on gold alloy

That's interesting as it does seem to read hotter on the darker sections of his body.

Black is a better radiator of heat than white so that is probably why you're getting those results. As Brownhash pointed out, so long as it has the opportunity to cool off then I would not worry. It will achieve the body temperature it wants or needs and all you can do is provide a decent temperature gradient as you have done. The snake is definitely a hell of a lot warmer than you would expect but as long as it is making the choice, all should be OK.

Black is a better radiator of heat than white so that is probably why you're getting those results. As Brownhash pointed out, so long as it has the opportunity to cool off then I would not worry. It will achieve the body temperature it wants or needs and all you can do is provide a decent temperature gradient as you have done. The snake is definitely a hell of a lot warmer than you would expect but as long as it is making the choice, all should be OK.

Thanks Bluetongue :) I do get the black/white difference but didn't realise it could have such a big effect on body temp on such a tiny snake.

His body temp has come down now and he definitely has opportunity to move to a cooler spot so all is well I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back