blue tongue skink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakegirlie

Reaction score
nan and pop took me to some friends of theirs to see some blue tongues.
these ones are blotched blue tongues they are just gorgeous
ate5upyn.jpg
byhuju4u.jpg
vy5e5e2u.jpg
adynysy3.jpg

I'm usually not to fond of blotched blueys(I like eastern) but those guys are rather cute

what your opinion on basking lights and uv lights on these guys? went to a shop that sells reptiles and they said that all i needed was a heat mat and that i dont need uv lights.
and is this bedding ok
ujepyrub.jpg
9enapy8a.jpg

Last edited:
Stay clear of the heat mat. They are not the best option for blue tongues. You are on the right track with the basking light, much easier to regulate the air temperature in the enclosure using a thermostat and if positioned at one end will give you a thermal gradient so the lizard can move about the enclosure to achieve its desired temperature. Heat mats will not heat the air to any great effect, and will only give the lizard the option of a hot or cold surface to sit on. Heat mats when used inappropriately are also known to start fires - do a search on them in this forum.

Some will choose not to use UV and instead supplement the lizard with a good quality calcium/D supplement. The problem with this is that is difficult to know if you lizard is getting enough, or too much. In my opinion, it is much easier to use a appropriate UV light. Providing the light is positioned correctly and is replaced at the required interval you know you lizard is getting what it needs. However, people have had success with both methods so I guess it up to you.

Snakegirlie I tried that substrate and found it was a bit moist....I didn't like it at all. Let me know how u find it because I liked the look but yeah it made everything damp when I used it. Coconut peat at bunnings is good u buy it in blocks wet it let it dry in sun and it's good to go :) allot cheaper than pet stores too!

Snakegirlie I tried that substrate and found it was a bit moist....I didn't like it at all. Let me know how u find it because I liked the look but yeah it made everything damp when I used it. Coconut peat at bunnings is good u buy it in blocks wet it let it dry in sun and it's good to go :) allot cheaper than pet stores too!

It's packed with water. If you dry it out you should have no problems.

i have decided that when its time to change the bedding i will switch to repti bark or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back