Strange eating habit - young Coastal Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edendj01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey! i'm Eden! i'm new to this and don't know how or where to post my questions etc. so i'm just going to ask my question in this reply and if anyone can lead me in the right direction as with posting I would appreciate it greatly!

so I have a yearling coastal python and have had her for a year! and I have noticed that within the fast few weeks of feeding (she is feeding on fuzzy rats) she will strike at the food, strangle it and then let go! I leave her for a while with the rat and she eventually eats it. i'm not sure why she is doing this or what has caused it. we are getting bit worried about her so any info would really help! thanks
__Eden__

Last edited by a moderator:
My little guy often strikes, constricts hard then removes his grip with his jaw and the top coil to seem to try and figure out the best strategy to get it down. I figure it's necessary as he doesn't always get the feed item on the perfect angle to begin chowing it down right away. I figure for yours it's the same, just without the instinct to only partially relax her grip instead completely letting the item go before figuring out the best angle to get it down. I wouldn't have thought it's any cause for concern as the thawed feed certainly isn't going anywhere when she lets go!

thanks everyone! really appreciate it! because we called the people that we bought them from and they said she could have a mouth infection or be cold or stuff like that! that's why we were worried and wanted a second opinion! thanks so much!

It's fine. If it eats then theres nothing to worry about. Simples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back