Puzzled over mystery gecko death

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
This has really got me puzzled, as I had a female Pilbarensis knob-tailed gecko which I bought a month ago, a week after that she ate her own tail off, so I moved her into a separate enclosure with heat and she dropped dead last week!
I'm wanting to know as to why she died for? I was looking after her as I would with my other knob-tailed gecko.

Just want to understand why? Stress? Any help would be good

Are you sure she ate her own tail? Its more likely that the male you had her in with ate the tail,....

A necropsy may have given you some answers, but i guess if it happened last week its too late for that.

Yes Chris I'm very sure she ate her own tail, as I waited for them both to go toilet, and this sounds pretty gross but found bits of semi-digested tail and bone in her poo, my males poo was as it was every time he goes. Yeah I didn't think for having necropsy done on her.

Was she depressed? or overly stressed out or anything?

Poor little chicka :( Sorry you lost her

I think she was stressed out really bad, maybe she missed the previous owner or something.

Sounds like stress to me.

Sounds like it yeah :/ Change of environment, different smells and maybe she just couldn't adjust. These things happen and we can only do so much but at the end of the day it comes down to the animals coping ability :(

Yeah that sounds exactly what was wrong with her, wish I could have made her more comfortable but oh well :(

Given this and your recent threads I think you might need to re evaluate your husbandry techniques.

I'll take your advice in consideration @mad_at_arms but my husbandry techniques are up to standards, never had any problems with my other geckos just this one ... I was devastated that see died, as she was becoming the beautiful girl [MENTION=15544]Red-Ink[/MENTION] said she would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back